What Is The Negative Effect And A Positive Effect Of Live Plants In Yo

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

epic154

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi guys just wondering what is the negative effect and a positive effect of live plants in your aquarium i am thinking about setting up a planted aquarium is it harder to maintain and my tank is 110l

The negative is really related to poor plant choice or not taking care of them. If the plants die and rot it can cause issues with low oxygenation and high nutrients in the tank. Honestly other than that and the work it takes on your part (how much can depend on the tank) I can't really think of a negative for plants. I personally love to have them in a tank. I even grow macro algae in my reef tank to garner the benefits.

Plants produce oxygen and absorb nutrients. This means they are keeping the water oxygenated which is good for the fish. They outcompete micro algae which keeps the tank free of it. Plants provide a natural hiding place for fish and allow for the creation of territories and breaks in the line of sight of territorial fish. They provide a place for fry to hide from predation as well. They also help to keep the pH stable as photosynthesis occurs. This is why I grow macro algae in the sump of my reef tank, it acts as a natural nutrient exporter and by running the lights on it at night I keep the pH stable round the clock since there's never a time no photosynthesis is going on.

I'm sure there are other benefits but those are the ones that come to the top of my head.

I had a planted tank for ages, it does look nice but at times it was a pain maintaining it. Especially when your fish uproot and eat them. I decided to change to fake plants and invested in some really good quality ones. I've had fake plants for almost a year now and my tank is still testing the same.

Of course its always going to be better for the fish to have real plants because its there natural habitat, assuming there healthy and looked after but plastic does the job of defining territory in my tank just fine.

Real plants are very very easily looked after, I don't see one reason why you shouldn't go real. Well worth it and keeps fishes happy!

You're welcome. Let us know what you decide to do.

If you are going with real plants, head over to the planted section. The folks over there can give you some great advice on which plants would work best based on your lighting, etc. The key is to get the plants that balance with the lights. They can get you some nice plants that are easy to maintain, and match your nutrients, lighting, etc. I went there a few years ago, and they helped me out to find low maintenance plants when I got into it. Best decision I made.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back