What is the name for these fish?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Shnookina

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Had a quick look in a pet shop today and didn't have time to ask what the fish were called so if anyone knows please tell :D

They were kind of like a barb in shape, you could see right through them, every fish either had a blue or pink strip going down the spine. They were stunning!

Don't want to get them from the shop i seen them in as they had a lot dead in there so if i know the name i can have a look round for them.

Also if you post a picture of what you think they are that would be helpfull.

Is this what you mean with a coloured stripe down them? The picture is of glass catfish in their natural colouring. The coloured stripe means they've been injected with dye to make them more "appealing" to the customers, a cruel and unnecessary practise that weakens the fish and shortens their lives.

gadazobe said:
is this what you mean with a coloured stripe down them?
no, these fish had a very bright blue or pink stripe down their spine and i mean very bright, you can see it in any light, but they were clear like the cat fish you show

I'm sure we're talking about the same fish, just that the ones that you saw have had dye injected into them.

OMG those are the ones but just colour down the spine, i thought it was to good to be true :-( thats so cruel

Yeah.
Practical Fishkeeping Magazine in the UK has been running a name and shame campaign for some time. I personally disagree with the practice modifying fish.. Lets keep it natural.. The colouration that you see does not last long and by the time it dimishes the fish is usually dead. Might as well buy some christmas tree lights...
Sorry to put you off but if you buy them the the malpractice will continue.

Oh I will def not buy them, I had no idea they were coloured, after all i thought if neon tetras could be bright colours then i thought these were natural, guess not :(

Most reactions

Back