What is the motive of betta shows?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Aniket

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Is it only for looks and tail types or it is about anything else?

Most shows have some sort of prize for best fish in each category.

The fish are judged on size of body, size and shape of fins, colouration, overall health and quality of the fish.

Most shows have some sort of prize for best fish in each category.

The fish are judged on size of body, size and shape of fins, colouration, overall health and quality of the fish.
Are those all show quality fishes healthy?

Yes very healthy because they can be worth a lot of money. You can always tell the difference between petshop fish and show quality.
However

Bettas that are bred for form and fins can have problems, feathertails/rosetails these fish have huge fins and that causes all sorts of problems for the fish as it gets older if its not cared for correctly.

I for example do not like spoonheads and if I was a judge it would mean points off.

This is one of my males, he has to live in a tank with zero current because of his fins. The slightest current upsets him
xUjl973.jpg

Yes very healthy because they can be worth a lot of money. You can always tell the difference between petshop fish and show quality.
However

Bettas that are bred for form and fins can have problems, feathertails/rosetails these fish have huge fins and that causes all sorts of problems for the fish as it gets older if its not cared for correctly.

I for example do not like spoonheads and if I was a judge it would mean points off.

This is one of my males, he has to live in a tank with zero current because of his fins. The slightest current upsets him
xUjl973.jpg
First of all i thought petshop bettas are healthier than show bettas because show quality bettas i think mostly inbred for achieving perfect form but petshop bettas are randomly bred.

You should read the whole article about Rosetail Bettas.

Rosetail betta – the downside of beauty

What are rosetail/feathertail bettas?
Rosetail and feathertail bettas are halfmoon bettas with extra branching in the fin rays (especially on the caudal fin). This allows the caudal fin to spread beyond 180° in some cases, causing it to overlap with the other fins. This makes for a gorgeous fish; the excessive branching gives the fins a rose-like, or, in extreme cases, feather-like appearance.
https://www.aquariadise.com/rosetail-betta-downside-of-beauty/

Most reactions

Back