What is the best dechlorinator

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nik_n

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
What do people think is the best dechlorinator and why? I only used tetra aqua safe but hear good things about seachem prime and API. What others are there?

Prime and Haloex are both about ten times cheaper than Aquasafe. Aquasafe has Aloe Vera in it, which irritates the skin into producing more mucus (the "slime coat" that the fish already have and don't need any more of).
Prime is probably the best for beginners since it will detoxify ammonia and nitrite in an emergency, but I don't need that, and I hate the smell, so I use Haloex.

Last edited:
When tap water contains chlorine, API Tap Water Conditioner. Dose rate for chlorine is 1 drop per gallon/3.8 litres. Does not detoxify ammonia, does not contain anything to 'promote the slime coat'.

When tap water contains chloramine either Seachem Prime or API Aqua Essential. Both of these split the chloramine into chlorine and ammonia, remove the chlorine and detoxify the ammonia for up to 24 hours by which time the filter bacteria should have removed it.

Hello. I used to use Seachem's Prime. Now, I use API's Tap Water Conditioner. To me, it's easier to dose and a lot less expensive.

Yeah, I've switched to using API's water conditioner. I don't mind the sulfur smell of Prime all that much, but the smell of API's is definitely more pleasant, and I don't need the ammonia detoxification. The API bottle also has a cap that doubles as a little measuring cup, which is really handy, especially for small doses.

I don't use the measuring cup as I need 2 drops in each 8 litre/2 gallons water in a bucket. The 1 fl oz/30 ml bottle has a dropper lid, so I bought that size and then more economical larger sizes to refill that small bottle.

But if using a very large bottle to refill the small bottle read the dosage carefully as the very large bottles are more concentrated. (For example, the 30 ml bottle dosage equates to 60.6 litres per ml; the 473 ml bottle dosage equates to 75.7 litres per ml)

I use Fluval Aqua Plus, not had any issues so far. Got a 2L jug for just over £20. I usually just eyeball doses though

My water has both chlorine and chloramine, I use Aqua Plus since 2016 and never had a problem with it. And I try to always overdose a little on that stuff.

In our country no chlorine is added to tapwater. This is one of the benefits that we have when we start a new tank or refill an existing tank.

I have well water, so no chlorine... and in our area the water is very hard, so I have a dedicated RO filter for my tanks, & it would remove chlorine if I were on city water...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back