what is ph

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

pH=power of hydrogen.

It's a measurement of the acidity or alkalinity of your water.

7 is neutral. pH levels above 7 are alkaline. pH levels below 7 are acidic.

You can get a pH test kit at any lfs to test your water.

It's more important to keep the pH stable than have it go up and down. I don't ever manually change my pH and let the fish slowly adjust if the lfs water is different than mine. (I go by what the parameters of the lfs water is more than anything I read in books or online about what a typical breed likes and I try to match that which just happens to be the same as mine anyways. )

MountGuppy said:
thank people talk about it all the time but i never understood what it was. :unsure:
NP. All these water parameters can get quite confusing at first.

Here's a couple links for you to read up a bit on that goes more into depth than I can provide.

pH

pH

thanks that really made it alot clearer.I cant tell you how much i apreciate all the help from you ever since i started this forum. ;)

MountGuppy said:
thanks that really made it alot clearer.I cant tell you how much i apreciate all the help from you ever since i started this forum. ;)
It's been fun helping you. :)

ooh! i just learned this is science...well i learned it in grade 5 but we reviewd it! pH is a balance between bases and acids and 7 is nuetral anything above 7 is basic and anyhting below is acidic :>

Most reactions

Back