What Happens To Fish Returned To Shops? Euthanasia?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishFriends

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
What happens to fish returned to shops? Euthanasia?

We bought 3 juvenile honney gouramis about a month ago, and since last week one of them (who is starting to look like a male) grew increasingly aggressive towards the other two (a male and a fefale, we think).

Yesterday we isolated the aggressive one, but in a little floating fry enclosure, not a place for an adult fish. We would like to return him to the shop, and we don't need to get our money back, but we are a bit concerned that he may just be euthanised.

He is very healthy, but I guess a shop wouldn't want to risk it, and would need to quarantine him. Would they bother though, or would they just kill him?>
sad2.gif

it does sometimes just depend on the stock, the only way to get an answer is to ask in the shop before you take the fish back. I know of a couple of shops that will take fish back, one is very good and will take fish if they have an empty tank, the other will just take them and hope for the best. With it being a gourami most likely they can easily re-sell it so would take it and keep it, depending on the shops quarantine rules (some dont bother)

I'm pretty sure healthy are put back on sale. I think it is because the store does have to pay for the fish to be shipped, and why would the store kill something it has to buy?
But if you had returned the gourami sick and half - dead, they might euthanize. :)

I took an aggressive gourami male back to the shop they simply accepted it and gave ,e the value of a single fish in return to spend, I got fish in return. With the money and he was then the alpha of the tank. They placed him in an empty tank with a few females to see how he behaved as the shop had many empty tanks because of the stormy uk whether over recent months and I visited last week to find he had bred in store! They were so happy that this happened as I believe it is a rarity and the fish will soon be on sale once big enough

Thank you all very much for the reassuring replies. I phoned the shop yesterday, and they said they would not kill it. So we took the fish back. I hope he is well there. 

Thanks again,

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back