What Frozen Foods I feed

TwoTankAmin

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
Since nobody else wanted to say anything here, I will. I use frozen foods from three sources. I am in the states so I get mostly what is available here.

Most of my frozen foods come from Jehmco a fish room supplier from NJ. They do not do pickups which is a shame as I am not a far drive away. I get the following frozen foods from them: Un-branded: Blood Worms, Mysis Shrimp, Brine Shrimp, Cyclops and Rotifers ( the last two are for fry).I buy the following commercial sold frozen: SF Bay Mini Blood Worms, Hikari cubes of both Daphnia and BBS (these are very pricey and I get only a few packs) and Brine Shrimp gut loaded w/ Spirulina,.

I also feed dry foods but this is not the sub-Forum for them.

Since nobody else wanted to say anything here, I will. I use frozen foods from three sources. I am in the states so I get mostly what is available here.

Most of my frozen foods come from Jehmco a fish room supplier from NJ. They do not do pickups which is a shame as I am not a far drive away. I get the following frozen foods from them: Un-branded: Blood Worms, Mysis Shrimp, Brine Shrimp, Cyclops and Rotifers ( the last two are for fry).I buy the following commercial sold frozen: SF Bay Mini Blood Worms, Hikari cubes of both Daphnia and BBS (these are very pricey and I get only a few packs) and Brine Shrimp gut loaded w/ Spirulina,.

I also feed dry foods but this is not the sub-Forum for them.
that's a nice variety. what do they cost and how many cubes?
I'm familiar with SF bay and Hikari frozen foods, that's where mine are from. Stores don't seem to sell live or unbranded frozens
Omega one also makes pretty easy-access frozen capsules.

Personally I don't feed my frozen food, I eat it. Sorry, couldn't resist...
icon_mrgreen.gif

I bought a bag of cooked shelled little shrimp, a couple weeks ago, that I have intentions of finely chopping up, & putting them into a zip lock freezer bag, spread thinly while it refreezes, so I can break off a small portions to feed...

curios if the tails should be included, or it would likely be best for the fish if they weren't... but wondering if the tails couldn't be chopped up for shrimp & dwarf cray food???

BTW... I would likely buy frozen foods if I could... we don't have a local fish store, I'd have to mail order them... I used to buy frozen sea foods & chop up 15 ish years ago, when I was into fish, & there were a few frozen foods available around here, back then... I bought some whole frozen squid back then, it was on sale cheap ( local grocery store bought it, & no one would buy it... I ended up eating about half... the tentacles were pretty fishy tasting, so those I chopped up for fish food... I kept the bodies for myself

Last edited:
if only the fish could walk up to the fridge and get it out themselves!
My fish would eat themselves to death, and I would be broke, SF Bay and Hirkiri are the only brands easily obtainable. Blood worms and brine shrimp only.

Jehmco used to have a wider stock. Cyclops have become difficult to find. The cyclop-eeze brand so popular years ago vanished when the lake from which they harvested crashed ther population which never recovered. But other brands were still available. Now not so, they are becoming scarce. Fortunately I am selling almost all my fish, including the breeders, and I have a rapidly shrinking need to feed new fry.

I trust Hikari frozen to be free of anything nasty. I also trust Jehmco. I buy some SF Bay stuff but I trust them a bit less than Hukari. I use their mini blood worms and BBS as they are cheaper than Hikari. Daphnia cubes come from whom ever is cheaper.

Also at my fish club meeting there is usually a styro filled with Hikary frozen 1 lb. slabs. I grabbed a brine and a mysis. I needed them because out second freezer has a strange door. If you push it shut, it doesn't stay shut. You have to close it slowly until you feel it stick to the body of the freezer. So for a third time in the past few months it defrosted overnight. This time I knew it was not safe to refreeze the foods and I threw them all out. I needed those slabs from the club.

The problem with buying frozen food is to have it shipped you need to buy a minimum amount. Unless you have a lot of tanks it doesn't make sense. However, if you can put together a small group of people near you, you can do a group buy. Small amount retail are not cheap and they generally do not stock a wide variety.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back