What Flake Food Is Best For Platies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rambilt

Reaction score
I have seven platies (2 males, 5 females) and 3 male guppies in my 80 gallon tank. feed them twice a day and three times on a weekend. I only have one type of food that I feed them and from what I am reading they have to be fed varieties of food to include live food.

The flake food I got by "Nutrafin" the flakes seems to be very big. I always have to mash them before dropping it into the tank. Is there a manufacturer that makes flake food for small fish like the platies and guppies?

Just crushing it lightly will be more than enough, they'd eat it without being crushed. Give them live or frozen bloodworm, daphnia, brine shrimp etc. Blanched cucumber & peas. Dried tubiflex, bloodworm algea tablets and if that's not enough variety then let us know & we can offer more suggestions :D

My platty fry (at 6mm) will eat LIVE bloodworm & it's real fun watching them try food, 3 times as long as themselves that fights back, the first few times.

I think its a case of what wont they eat for me,mine are greedy little sods that will go all out war with my red claw shrimps at feeding time. If the shrimps dont run with their food(i have to hand feed them because of the platys) then the platys will decend on them and nick the food straight out of their mouths...
but i love them... :p

Just crushing it lightly will be more than enough, they'd eat it without being crushed. Give them live or frozen bloodworm, daphnia, brine shrimp etc. Blanched cucumber & peas. Dried tubiflex, bloodworm algea tablets and if that's not enough variety then let us know & we can offer more suggestions :D

My platty fry (at 6mm) will eat LIVE bloodworm & it's real fun watching them try food, 3 times as long as themselves that fights back, the first few times.

Wow, I didn't realize that there's so many varieties that I can feed them with. Thanks for the suggestions :)

I think its a case of what wont they eat for me,mine are greedy little sods that will go all out war with my red claw shrimps at feeding time. If the shrimps dont run with their food(i have to hand feed them because of the platys) then the platys will decend on them and nick the food straight out of their mouths...
but i love them... :p

One of the Platy males seem to try to bully everyone in the tank especially during feeding time. :D

The best for livebearers is livebearer flake. It's algae-based, and has the optimal balance of vegetables and protein for livebearers. There are various brands. Regular flake food is formulated for carnivores, and has a different mix of nutrients. It's also important to make sure livebearers get fresh algae. This is especially true with platies and mollies, both of which eat a lot of algae in the wild.

Cheers,

Neale

The best for livebearers is livebearer flake. It's algae-based, and has the optimal balance of vegetables and protein for livebearers. There are various brands. Regular flake food is formulated for carnivores, and has a different mix of nutrients. It's also important to make sure livebearers get fresh algae. This is especially true with platies and mollies, both of which eat a lot of algae in the wild.

Cheers,

Neale

So, where can I find that livebearer flakes? Is that readily available through the internet?

Your retailer should have them. Some examples are:

Nutrafin livebearer flakes
Nutrafin Spirulina algae flakes
Sera Flora [this is the one I give to my halfbeaks]

There may be others. The key thing is they are designed for fish that need lots of algae in their diet, as is the case with livebearers, halfbeaks, and many cichlids. There's nothing wrong with regular (carnivore) flake food, but algae-rich flake food is just a little bit better.

Cheers,

Neale

So, where can I find that livebearer flakes? Is that readily available through the internet?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back