What fish to put with my angels ?

JaygoExotics

Reaction score
Hello everyone I was just wondering what works best with a group of angel fish Iā€™m looking to get a tank mate for them or a few tank mates , whiteout anyone recommending a pleco regards jayden

How large is the tank (dimensions and volume)? And how many angelfish in the group?

[Not sure what "whiteout" means, was it without?]

Itā€™s a 2ft tank I bought it off gumtree it came with 10 very young angels about 2months Iā€™ve been told Iā€™m definitely upgrading once they becoming older about 8 months but was just curious what goes best with them

First thing to say, is that what follows is not criticism of you but intended to point out what you need for the best care of the fish.

Ten angelfish will require at least a five-foot (six feet would be better) tank, with a 2-foot height. So you need to decide if this is going to be feasible; if not, then the time to re-home the angelfish (or some of them) is now, not later. This is a species that develops behaviours very early, and it must be provided with a suitable environment very early. A 2-foot tank, I assume 20 gallons max, will only be suitable for 10 angelfish for a couple months.

The only fish I would suggest with ten angelfish in a 5 or 6-foot tank would be substrate level, such as a shoal of cory catfish. As the angelfish develop there will be no room for other upper level fish. If you set up a 6-foot tank, things improve marginally. An 8-foot tank is better. Again, this is with all ten; reducing them down to five or six or seven will allow you options for other fish in a six-foot tank.

Angelfish attain six inches body length, with a vertical fin span of eight inches. They have inherent requirements for an hierarchy within the shoal, and if space is adequate, and depending upon the individual temperament of the fish, this generally works. But exceptions can occur, requiring sudden separation of any trouble makers, or of any individual harassed fish.

Realize that with a group there will be both genders, and pairs will likely form. If the pair of fish bond, the other angelfish may have to be moved from the tank, or the pair removed; a bonded pair can be extremely dominant and aggressive to any fish they perceive as threats. If they do not bond, spawning may still take place, with varying results, and with varying attitudes toward other angelfish.

I realize I have not yet really addressed the question of tankmates, but I hope I have shown that this is dependent upon the "final" tank you will be able to provide them. There is no pint in considering tankmates if the angelfish are crowded into too small a space. The tankmates will likely not live long. These must be carefully chosen, avoiding any linear small species that will often be eaten, and avoiding any fast/active swimming species that can seriously frighten sedate angelfish, and avoiding any species even remotely-likely to fin nip.

Given the size of the shoal here, and assuming suitable tank space is provided soon, it might be best to go with the angelfish and a group of cories.

I completely get where you are coming from and why you explained what you did I personally would of never housed 10 angel fish myself I only bought it as I saw it online and it was going cheap ,so I thought Iā€™d save them I completely understand it would be a struggle in this tank I was going to take about 7 down to my local fish store once they grow a bit Iā€™m sure they would love them as I sell my guppy fry to them so Iā€™m sure I could negotiate something Iā€™m definitely considering corys

I completely get where you are coming from and why you explained what you did I personally would of never housed 10 angel fish myself I only bought it as I saw it online and it was going cheap ,so I thought Iā€™d save them I completely understand it would be a struggle in this tank I was going to take about 7 down to my local fish store once they grow a bit Iā€™m sure they would love them as I sell my guppy fry to them so Iā€™m sure I could negotiate something Iā€™m definitely considering corys

Heading in the right direction, but now another issue. Angelfish are shoaling, so they must have a group, and five is the minimum. So please do not keep two or three or even four, it will almost inevitably not work. Five allows the natural hierarchy to spread out any dominance, though again this does not always happen and fish may need to be removed down the road. If a male and female decide to bond, keeping them as a pair can work, to spawn. A single angelfish can "work" but I do not believe in maintaining fish contrary to their natural tendencies.

Five will require at least a 4-foot tank. And we could consider tankmates, including but also moving beyond cories.

Definitely take it on board ! So sometime down the line when Iā€™ve upgraded etc would yourself consider any other fish for angels

Definitely take it on board ! So sometime down the line when Iā€™ve upgraded etc would yourself consider any other fish for angels

Yes, definitely, but depending upon the tank size and the number in the angelfish shoal.

Most reactions

Back