What Fish Suitable For 14 Litre Tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Imke

Reaction score
Now, we bought à 14 ltr tank for my daughters birthday and had 2 cold water fish in it. 1 has now died last night and the other looks unsavable ( although we try all we can to save it). I didn't know much about fish and expected pet shops would provider suitable advies. I have learned à lot looking on forums these last 1.5 weeks and 1 thing is; à 14 litre tank isn't big enough for fresh water fish, eventhough pet shops are happy to sell you both the tank and the fish without warning.

Now first I thought ' Why do they sell small tanks if is is just not suitable for fish? Surely there is some animal protection law against this?' then I wondered; Maybe there are tropical fish who can live in smaller tanks?'

So, are these tanks suitable for any fish at all, or should I take it straight to the tip and start any further attempts with a proper fishtank?

Now, we bought à 14 ltr tank for my daughters birthday and had 2 cold water fish in it. 1 has now died last night and the other looks unsavable ( although we try all we can to save it). I didn't know much about fish and expected pet shops would provider suitable advies. I have learned à lot looking on forums these last 1.5 weeks and 1 thing is; à 14 litre tank isn't big enough for fresh water fish, eventhough pet shops are happy to sell you both the tank and the fish without warning.

Now first I thought ' Why do they sell small tanks if is is just not suitable for fish? Surely there is some animal protection law against this?' then I wondered; Maybe there are tropical fish who can live in smaller tanks?'

So, are these tanks suitable for any fish at all, or should I take it straight to the tip and start any further attempts with a proper fishtank?
cherry shrimp / other types of shrimp and betta's can go in that size tank (only 1 betta though)

have you read up about cycling?

cherry shrimp / other types of shrimp and betta's can go in that size tank (only 1 betta though)

But not housed together because the Betta will more than likely eat the shrimp!

Thanks for both replies.

I have started reading up about cycling but I think I am learning too little too late. I bought a 'ready to set up tank' with filter included. Four days later I got the fish. Ammonia levels were high, but they let me havethe fish, then I didn't realise quite how little food they needed and over fed them, and left it a week for the first clean, by which time the worst damange was done.

I know this all sounds irresponsible to the average fish enthousiast that is on this forum, but I really didn't have a clue, having kept fish in a small tank for a few years when I was little, seeing my mum clean it out with 100% water change straight from the tap every 4 weeks or so at the time. can't understand how they survived after the rollercoaster we have had the last 1.5 weeks. I will definitly do my homework before introducing any new fish in our house!

ps: I wrote another topic yesterday where I explained what I did to try and save them- on petshop advise.
I was advised not to do a more than 20% water change, but to do them every 2 days whilst levels were high in stead of once a week, but on this forum I am now advised that with ammonia levels this high I should do a water change much bigger, which i will try now. I am also using treatment for both ammonia poisening and Cotton Wool disease. Wow, what a learning curve!

But not housed together because the Betta will more than likely eat the shrimp!
i thought fully grown cherry's were safe with betta. the babys might get eaten though

Don't beat yourself up about it. We were all beginners once and we've all made mistakes and I find there is always new things to learn with fish keeping... Your in safe hands with this forum and its members, always willing to help and are very knowledgable on all aspects of the hobby :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back