What fish can i have?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

corrosive

Fishaholic
Reaction score
What fish can i have in a 2ft long, by 20cm wide, and 20cm high tank?

Currently i have some fry in there, which can be either tench, coi, or gold fish, and i have a nice big pond slowly being build around it.

All this is in my big greenhouse, and i was just wondering what i can keep in my tank (keeping or not keeping the fry in there) and also what sort of fish could i keep in a green house pond?

Thanks alot.

:thumbs:

Any help is appreciated.

Hi corrosive. I'm thinking that this post will be moved as it's not in the right section. However,I think you need to do some research before you start your tank as goldfish grow too large for a 2 foot tank, and I imagine that tench and koi do too. I have seen enormous koi at garden centres although I don't know much about them myself. Read through the pinned topics on this forum for a good introduction to fishkeeping. :)

Thanks, yes at the moment they are really really small so the tank is more than big enough, obviously when there bigger they will be moved to a bigger place, be it the pond they came out of or my pond.

Edit: Delete this topic i will repost it in the correct place sorry.

Hi corrosive :)

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

I see you started a new thread in the Beginners section, so I'll move this thread into the Coldwater Fish and Ponds forum. I'm sure you will get some good advice there. :D

Well a few basic questions should help us narrow down some ideas. What is the average temperature of water in the greenhouse, will the pond be heated? How big is the pond? Do you want a tropical or coldwater tank? :)

ryan said:
Well a few basic questions should help us narrow down some ideas. What is the average temperature of water in the greenhouse, will the pond be heated? How big is the pond? Do you want a tropical or coldwater tank? :)
Not sure about the temperature of the water... How should i go about finding that out?
Not sure if the pond will be heated or not, that will depend what i feel is best when it gets to the final stages when i figure out what fish i want in there.

Also not sure how big the pond is, but i can go as deep as i wish :flex: it will be quite narrow and long thats all i can tell you at the moment.

Finally im not sure if i want a cold wter or tropical tank, but i would like some unusual fish and things like "Shark Catfish" so i would guess i need a tropical tank?

Shark Catfish actually need Brackish water of quite a high saltinity, do you want a Brackish tank?

There are plenty of unusal fish you can try in either case for tropical see the pinnned topic in this forum called 'Bored with Goldfish?' and check out the possibilites for smaller ponds. If you wanted tropical you could try some smaller Oddballs like Butterfly Fish, Banjo Catfish, Gobie species and so on.........

If you heated the pond you could try a tropical pond with larger fish like Arowanas, larger Catfish and so on. If you wanted to keep it Coldwater you could have Koi, Tench and various other coldwater cyprinids. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back