What fish are good for brand new tanks?

Joel

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Does anyone know what kinds of fish would do good in a new tank? Im thinking 4 mollies or swordtails or platies. Would that work?

Is the tank cycled? If it is then there are lots of fish that would be fine.

If it isn't, you might want to cycle it without fish - see the pinned article.

If you are going to cycle with fish, danios, mollies, platies etc are a good choice.

HTH

How big is your tank? Fishless cycling would be much better than subjecting the fish to the stress of cycling. You could also seed the tank with media (gravel, filter floss) from an existing tank. If you don't know anybody with an existing tank perhaps your lfs could help you out.

Yeah I was planning on cycling it without fish, I just wanted to know what fish would be good as firsts. I think im going with the platties or mollies.

I cycled my tank with platies.They were breeding within a week.Thay are as hardy as the come.

Keep in mind that mollies get to 4" though - so they need a bigger tank than 1.5 inch platies.

sylvia said:
Keep in mind that mollies get to 4" though - so they need a bigger tank than 1.5 inch platies.
Mollies CAN get to 4 inches but I've never seen on THAT big. :dunno: Mine is an adult and is only 2 inches.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back