What Does A "gravid Spot" Look Like?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

J

Jozlyn

I'm fairly certian my Dalmation Molly is pregnant. I've read alot about these "gravid spots", just exactly what do they look like? Does anyone have a picture or a link where I could see this?

pregnantguppy.jpg

See the dark spot? Gravid spots are always present in the fish, but when they are pregnant, this is the general area where the fry are held. It appears darker, because of the prescence of the fry. The darkness will vary from fish to fish and changes at different lighting and angles. I don't like to rely on a gravid spot for seeing if a fish is pregnant. Her size and shape is the key. She will get noticably large, almost block-like from the back, as she expands to make room for the fry.

Thanks, her size is the key, but I've read about these "gravid spots" and got curious about what they look like :)

he, he, he I've had another good look at her and I still can't tell whether she's got one or not! After all she is a dalmation and she's got spots everywhere!!!!!

It would be quite a challenge! In fact it would probably be just about impossible! On many fish you're not able to see a gravid spot at all! I can just barely make one out on my Red Platys. Oh! Here's another fact about gravid spots since you're so interested: Some fish won't have a gravid spot at all. You have to spot pregnancy by how big the fish is.

Occasionally on some fish when nearing the end of their pregnancy, the gravid spot appears to be made up of tiny dots. These are the eyes of all the fry she is carrying.

Ok, so the spot, isn't really a "spot", she has a blue/grey splodge above her back fin, do you think that could be a gravid spot? And she's fat too, but not like she swallowed a marble or anything, just fat.

If you look at most of the light colored livebearers in good lighting, you will see their "guts" on the inside. Just imagine this getting darker and bigger as she is pregnant. Basically there are fry inside which block the light even more, so the spot looks darker. Your fish when pregnant will be noticably larger. Just think of a skinny woman that gets pregnant. You can't hide it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back