What algae is this?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lamie

Fishaholic
Reaction score
There is algae growing on the filter. I clean it off every 2 weeks when water change. Do you turn off filter and heater when doing a water change? How often do you clean the media in the filter?

Attachments

• IMG20211113114309.jpg
    IMG20211113114309.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 50
Thank you on wc. I had to look it up diatoms. I must have all different kinds of algae in the tank

That looks too green for diatoms, from my reading of the photo. But it is not at all uncommon. Presumably you can take the filter out to rinse/clean it (?) so do this at every water change and you can use a small brush even a toothbrush to remove this algae, just so it doesn't continue to spread. Filter media should be rinsed at every water change. And regular water changes should be once a week, and do 50-60% of the tank volume. This also discourages algae, aside from the significant benefits of a W/C. This is a planted tank so you can clean the filter and media under the tap, which allows you to do a better (and easier) job of it.

Provided algae is not appearing on the plant leaves, you are otherwise OK. If algae is appearing on the plant leaves, you need to look at the light/nutrient balance. I can explain if asked.

There is also this on the plants.

Attachments

• IMG20211113124728.jpg
    IMG20211113124728.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG20211113124655.jpg
    IMG20211113124655.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 49
Thank you on wc. I had to look it up diatoms. I must have all different kinds of algae in the tank

There can be several species of algae. Diatoms is one, brownish, and usually seen at the start of a new aquarium but not later on, though it can sometimes occur. Common green algae you usually do not even see--until it becomes too thick in the biofilm on surfaces. This algae will be eagerly eaten by the so-called "algae" eating fish, but I am not suggesting you get fish unless you like the species and the tank is suitable. Snails and shrimp will also eat this common algae. Cleaning the inside of the front glass (and sides/back up to you) each weekly W/C even if you don't see the algae is the best way to keep this at bay. Every biofilm (surfaces covered by water) has this algae along with whatever microscopic critters, which is why many fish regularly graze surfaces.

Beyond the above, we have "problem" algae, like hair, black brush/beard, and several others. When the light/nutrient balance is out of whack, this algae will take advantage. Usually only one species will appear in any given aquarium, and if you had multiple tanks you might have different species in this or that tank.

There is also this on the plants.

OK, now that is a "problem" algae, it happens to be black brush which has a couple of forms, I think I can see both here. We need to look at the light and nutrient levels. Any data on the light will help (spectrum, intensity, duration). And what if any plant fertilizers/additives?

How come each tank has different needs for lighting? Why not use the same lights as a tank that does not get algae?

OK, now that is a "problem" algae, it happens to be black brush which has a couple of forms, I think I can see both here. We need to look at the light and nutrient levels. Any data on the light will help (spectrum, intensity, duration). And what if any plant fertilizers/additives?
I will answer soon thanks

How come each tank has different needs for lighting? Why not use the same lights as a tank that does not get algae?

The light required for a planted tank depends upon the depth of the tank (assuming the length and width are OK), the plant species and numbers, and the available nutrients. Obviously we can add nutrients as needed. If the light over the tank is not sufficient to drive photosynthesis (each plant species can have different requirements) or if it is too intense/bright for the plants' needs, it can benefit algae. Spectrum also factors in; bright light, or any light, that does not provide the red, blue and green the plants need will not benefit the plants but only algae. The light must be balanced with available nutrients; plants can only photosynthesize if the light is of sufficient intensity, the right spectrum, and there are all 17 required nutrients available.

There really is no tank without algae. But it is possible to not have "problem" algae, and that is what we aim for, with the light and balanced nutrients.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back