Well, Back to the Drawing Board...Scarlet Badis, Anyone?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gilltyascharged

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Thinking my quest for the perfect nano inhabitant was over, I stopped by the Puffer Forum to see what their views were. Turns out, new information shows that dwarf puffers are a bit like mbuna cichlids---when kept in large (5+) groups as adults, aggression is dispersed and individuals are allowed to show fulfill social behaviors---when raised individually, they apparently become socially stunted murderers. Point being: in order to let the puffer live its best life, a 38L would be a much better home than my 25L.

So, I am now considering a few of the other guys on my list that didn't receive a vote--perhaps because others on the list were simply more appealing, or they simply aren't fit for a tank of that size. Either way, I intend to find out...can you keep a small group (appropriate gender ratios kept in mind) of Scarlet Badis in a heavily planted 25L? I've gone through plenty of old threads, but know that it's better to ask those who are currently keeping---after all, just 20 years ago it wasn't unheard of to keep a red-tailed black shark in a 38L 😳

Scarlet Badis keepers, what do you think?

The only time I've kept them in groups is when I've had one male and three females. Males are aggressive so they will pick on other males in the tank, in my experience.

I had them, but don't currently. They are very popular around here.
I found them very aggressive among themselves, although everyone has a different tolerance for fish aggression. They also hid a lot. It was like having micro-sasquatches in my tank. At times, I believed they were there, but couldn't prove it.

What you need is Ellasoma, or a pair of Aphyosemions.

I had them, but don't currently. They are very popular around here.
I found them very aggressive among themselves, although everyone has a different tolerance for fish aggression. They also hid a lot. It was like having micro-sasquatches in my tank. At times, I believed they were there, but couldn't prove it.

What you need is Ellasoma, or a pair of Aphyosemions.
Fish aggression is something that I find hit or miss---little spats are one thing, but having oh-my-gosh-I-don't-know-if-you're-going-to-survive fights are another. I have to say, I've never heard of Elassoma/Ellasoma--they're beautiful! I've decided that, in the event I ever get another tank (something that I would love but my parents scoff at), I am trying my hand at Ps. annulatus for sure. Aphyosemions are beautiful, but the price ($40 USD is probably cheap for a pair :blink:) and the sheer number of species to choose from has made it somewhat of a challenge to narrow down :S

I gotta say--after some more research, a small group of Elassoma gilberti and some Leptolucania ommata are sounding real nice in a heavily planted, unheated tank. Short lived, yes, but all of the wonderful colorations and behavior without the excessive aggression...I think I have a new wish-list fish d:D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back