Weak Gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

thegabzzz

Reaction score
hi i have a gold gourami in my community tank, today i realized it was extremely weak, it would swim across the tank and then just fall onto one of the decors and flip and go upside down. help me please.

What are your water parameters? Any other symptoms?

my water parameters are fine because all the other fish are okay, i dont see any other symptoms, he looks like he is to weak to fight the water flow, he just gets pushed around.

Just because your other fish are fine does not mean that the water is fine. you have to find out the water parims before you can make that judgment.

tank size?
tank mates?
water changes- how much and how often?
Do you use dechlorinator?
Any other chemicals added to your water?
Anything added to tank recently- plants, fish...ect ?

will help us find out what is wrong with him :good:

the tank size is 125 gallons, tank mates are 1 pleco catfish, 1black ghost knife, 20 guppies, 6 swordtails, 15 glolight tetras, 50 neons, 15 harlequin rosbaras, 3 corydoras, 3 albino algae eaters, 5 platys, 2 dwarf gouramis, 4 gouramis (not including sick one), 1 angel, 4 blind cave fish,
yes i use dechlorinator, i also use plant chemicals

also, he and 1 other gourami were the latest addition to the tank

Fidget2 is right, you can't judge water parameters that way.

I'm not very good with stocking but with that list I think you're really overstocked. You should think about getting a larger tank. How long has your tank be running for and was it cycled? Gouramis are very sensitive so if your water parameters aren't good that could cause them to contract illnesses easily.

I am worried about the compatibility of some of the fish. Gourami usually, depending on the species, don't like the company of others of their kind. The neons and guppies with the black ghost won't work if you don't make sure the ghost is fed well. They have large mouths and will swallow them if he gets a chance. Is your filter cycled? Just because your other fish are ok, doesn't mean you don't have the beginnings of an ammonia problem or nitrite problem. Do you have a test kit? If not, take a sample to your lfs and get it tested. Ask them to write down the numbers. Don't let them say everything is fine, we need the numbers if we are going to be able to help. You have a 125 gallon tank. How big is the pleco? These are big messy fish. They produce alot of ammonia. How big is the ghost? The corys should be bumped up to atleast six fish. The livebearers can cause over population very quickly. If it was me,assuming the pleco is a common pleco, I'd start with rehoming him. I also just checked the stocking level and you are severely over stocked. It may not be an issue now, if the fish are small, but it will be a big problem in the long run.

the pleco is only about 1 inch, how fast do the ghost knifes have to be because atm hes mouth is knowhere near as big as any of the fish. by how much am i overstocked? becuase atm the each it doesnt seem like it when u look at the tank,
also, i lost my little gourami today in the morning :( poor guy

also how fast does a ghost knife grow?
what would be your thoughts on rehomeing all the fish and keeping the ghost knife, and pleco? also, would a ghost fish go with others of the same kind?

You should test your water parims and post on here so we can tell you if that is the cause of death of your gourami

i am testing my water parims at my lfs very soon, i will keep u updated as soon as i have the numbers, i am also selling my 3 gouramis that are left so that they do not get sick aswell (i am selling them to my lfs)

He could have ich my gourami had the same signs. or it could just be his time. it is best to maybe leave him in the same tank so he doesn't get stressed any longer. do some research and see if you come up with any diseases :)

i went to my lfs today and had a test done, turns out theres no problem, ammonia 0, nitrite 0. (they used a liquid tester). It turns out my previous fish died of sud
den change of PH, so i bought a chemical that changes it to nuetral.
I also bought home 4 columbian tetras, and 10 rummy nose tetras becuase i heard they were tough fish and would cope with the high PH levels (7.6)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back