Wath snail is infesting my tanks?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kimm87

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have at least 100 little grain of sand sized snails in my guppy and Frog tanks. I have only seen 3 or 4 larger snails and they are still to small for my camera to focus on for a picture. I was told they were ramshorn snails from the guy that i bought the plants from However they look like nerite snails.
This is the info i have it has been almost 2 weeks since i got the plant it had new eggs on it they were in a clear clump, the larger snails that i can actually see have a black oval shell and i didnt notice the snails till about 3 days after i added a large amount of salt to combat some fin rot also they have been chewing my anubius.

If the eggs were in jelly they are not nerites - those lay sesame seed like eggs on decor. This link should help you to identify your snails http://www.fishforums.net/threads/freshwater-snail-species-in-the-hobby.424364/

I have several snail species in my main tank, including two so-called pest snails (ramshorns and a species of physid). Years ago I tried to remove them but now I leave them alone as they are a useful part of the tank ecosystem. Over feeding the fish does lead to a snail population explosion so take care not to over feed.
I also have nerite snails, which is how I know what their eggs look like, and Malaysian trumpet snails.

They must just be some sort of pond snail. I thought i had read that whole post but i guess i never got to the actual snail part.

None of the common small snails (pond, bladder, ramshorn, livebearing) will eat healthy plants. They will graze plant leaves for algae, and eat dying or rotting plant matter, but not healthy leaves like Anubias.

These are Rams horn snail eggs
maxresdefault.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back