water very cloudy change water every 2 to 3 weeks but still cloudy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pinky123

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
HI THERE CAN ANYBODY TELL ME WHY MY WATER NEVER EVER GETS CLEAR FISH SEEM OK BUT IT'S. LOTS OF THINGS HAVE BEEN GOING ON MY HEAD, COULD IT BE THE LIGHTS...OR THE WATER TEMP.....THE TYPE OF FOOD,......NEED SOME ADVISE ON THIS ONE PLEASE...THANKS ALOT

PINKY123

I think if you did more water changes like once a week it would help what are your water perameters

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

A fully stocked tank should have a 50% water change every week.

What colour is the cloudiness, white or green?
What media is in the filter?
How long has the tank been running?

I think if you did more water changes like once a week it would help what are your water perameters

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

my tank is juwel 180 liters i do the filters every week the water has a green hue to it....the fish seem to be ok it just that i can,t see them at the back of the tank.....some post suggest an additive would say that this may be the way to go or not....? thanks pinky123

A fully stocked tank should have a 50% water change every week.

What colour is the cloudiness, white or green?
What media is in the filter?
How long has the tank been running?

hi there thanks for your reply....the water has a green hue to it....the filter is just a normal one the i have had thisd tank for just on 3 years now i live in an chalky area in brighton....thanks for your help pinky123

Green cloudiness is usually an algal bloom - microscopic algae floating in the water. This can occur if any of three things are out of balance - light, fertiliser and carbon dioxide.

How long are the lights on for?
Do you have any live plants in the tank? And if you do, do you add any fertiliser and carbon dioxide, either gas or liquid CO2?
Does sunlight shine directly onto the tank at any time during the day?

The first thing to do is work out what is causing the algae, then change something so it doesn't come back after you've got rid of it.
Then to get rid of the algae you need to cover the entire tank with something that won't let any light at all through. Turn the tank lights off, and leave the wrapping in place for 3 days. Don't even open it to feed the fish, they'll be fine for 3 days without food.
Three days without light usually kills the microscopic algae. But it will come back if you don't sort out what caused it and change whatever it is that caused it.

The white pad on top of the filter should help remove any ordinary cloudiness, especially if you change it regularly. It gets clogged easily and doesn't wash well. It is much cheaper to buy a length of filter wool/filter floss from a roll and cut it up using a Juwel white pad as a template.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back