Water treatments

rachandmike

Reaction score
I have had tropical fish (zebrafish) in my new tank for nearly a week now. With the tank came some Biological aquarium supplement, aquatic plant food and water conditioner it mentions on the side of each bottle about weekly treaments, is it ok to treat the water whilst the fish are in the tank as it is obviously a concentrated capuful.

Also how can you tell the difference between the male and female Zebra Fish as one of the fish is getting quite fat compared to the others and I am wondering if it is a she if she is pregnant? :) Big thanks in advance for the help

id like to know this actualy, as i normaly treat the water whilst in the bucket.

Usually when adding meds or any treatment, I get a jug full of aquarium water, mix in the med/treatment fully, then slowly pour the jugful of treated water from one end of the aquarium to the other, or pour it in the filter outflow so it gets mixed in. This way you avoid one fish possibly getting an eyeful of the undiluted treatment, plus it reaches all parts of the tank that much quicker!

HTH

Yes it is ok to treat the tank. The stuff dispenses quickly and reacts instantly. I've been adding it to the tank right before doing water changes directly from the tap - for years.

rachandmike said:
Also how can you tell the difference between the male and female Zebra Fish as one of the fish is getting quite fat compared to the others and I am wondering if it is a she if she is pregnant?
the female looks fuller when compaired to the male
ZEBRAS1-iC.jpg

(female in foreground)

and zerbra danios are egg scatterers so she is not pregnant :p

Sorry about silly question- but you are doing water changes when adding the water conditioner? Just thought I'd check.

thanks for all of the replies.

The female one which we have seems to be very aggresive towards the others? is this normal, also we noticed that she seemed to be performing some kind of ritual towards another and they kept broadsiding each other, any comments?

thanks again

Perfectly normal danio behaviour.

Most reactions

Back