Water too warm???

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

teewhy

Reaction score
With all the talk about keeping my water temperature around 72 degrees, I'm having trouble keeping it that low. It's a small 5g MiniBow I bought for our 3 year old. The temp at night is around 74, but during the day, it seems to go as high as 78. Is this harmful? I only have 3 platies in the tank and I read they prefer warmer water - but is this too warm?

Actually, the platys probably would prefer the 76 to 78 range as opposed to 72. I would set the thermostat at about 78. It should stay pretty stable at that. The heater will only come on when the water temp drops low enough that it needs to be warmed again. With the heat from the light and filter, you probably won't ever be able to get it below about 74 unless your house is really cool.

Dam you people who live in warn areas.

Englands so cold espically in the winter.

My tanks always need heating except for about 2 weeks in the summer and even then it needs heating from around 3am to 9am.

I wish i lived somewhere hot. :sad:

Hello everybody,
I have a similar problem. Springtime struck with a bang! I already disconnected the heater which is kept at 26 celsius during the cooler months, but now my thermometer (the one stuck on the tank, I mean) reads 29 celsius, I think that's 84 F! during the afternoon hours. I know these are tropical fish but I still wonder if the temps gotten too high for them.
So far they seem fine, but what do I know right? :p

Has anybody had temps this high?

Thanks for any advice

I've had livebearers that high, they seemed ok. Corys & plecs seemed a little stressed. You could try getting a little air flow across the surface of the water, a small clip on fan would probably work.

Tolak

I also have a problem with high temperatures :( . My 5g reaches 30 celcius and it's not even summer here :crazy: . I (for now) leave the hood open and the window so that the water cools down. I'm thinking of getting a fan as sugested in an other post or maybe a chiller.

newland said:
Dam you people who live in warn areas.

Englands so cold espically in the winter.

My tanks always need heating except for about 2 weeks in the summer and even then it needs heating from around 3am to 9am.

I wish i lived somewhere hot. :sad:
Its easier to warm a tank up than it is to keep it cool, so I say we have it easy here in Blighty!

OOI, what are the effects of having to warm a tank? Because to keep my tank at a fairly constant temp, I have to have it waaay up. Otherwise it flucs like hell. Should the waer feel warm as well?

The warmer the water the less oxygen is carried in it. If the tank gets too warm, then you'll notice the fish gasping for air at the top of the tank. You can cool it down by putting an ice bag in it for a little while or doing a 10% water change, adding cold water only.

Ah. Ty. So thats it? I've got an airstone in there anyway (fine, I'm lying but if I can remember where I put it I would).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back