water test kits

wotsupdoc

Reaction score
hi all....anybody able to suggest a good water test kit? at the mo i`m using a "freshwater master test kit" made by aquarium pharmaceuticals ltd and i`m not too convinced that its results are accurate!!

:D are you in the u.k i use esha strips, so i only need to buy the ammonia test kit seperate. ive found these very handy and reliable.

I use Aquarium Pharm. Master Test kit, it has all the basic things you need (ammonia nitrite nitrate and ph). Seems to be a nice kit to me. For alkalinity and hardness I just take a water sample to my lfs and they do it for free.

wotsupdoc said:
hi all....anybody able to suggest a good water test kit? at the mo i`m using a "freshwater master test kit" made by aquarium pharmaceuticals ltd and i`m not too convinced that its results are accurate!!
This is what I use

canarsie11 said:
wotsupdoc said:
This is what I use
me too :D
I have had no problems with it.

how do u know it isn't accurate? did u go and have a lab test done. most kits are very accurate BUT it depends on the colours that UR eyes can see. we all see colours differently cos our eyes are differant and one kit might work for u but not foe others. if u can see the spectrum that makes up the test colours then ur fine. Even if u cant ur kits are still going to give ur decent results the test and the colour tab are based one the same thingy.

Don't worry at worse u can be out by 0.25ppm or something smaller. don't worry abt it.

We have the APharm kit as well, but we also have SeaChem's 'Ammonia Alert' in the tanks.

This is a card that sticks to the inside of the tank below the waterline with a colour dial on it and a spot of reactive material that changes colour depending on the ammonia levels in the water.

It means I get real time ammonia readings at a glance without having to do a test.

If only they did a nitrite & nitrate one as well.

there's some reviews of test kits on teh practicalfishkeeping site where they compare the results with lab test results to see how accurate they are.

Most reactions

Back