Water Temperature

Kirsty

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What sort of temperature (in degrees C) is ideal?
My heater went haywire and i got in yesterday and it was 44!!!!! Its now back down to 29 which is still a little high, what should i aim for?

I wouldnt worry then - as long as your keeping the temp below the 30 degree amrk i wouldnt be concerned about it - then once you know what fish you are putting in the tank you will need to see what their specific requirements are.
Just had a hunt round goggle for you and no one indicates that temp will affect your cycling as long as its below 30 deg C

If your cycling the tank with no fish then put it up to 85F, this will encourage the bacteria to grow faster :)

I am going to cycle my tank with fish. Was thinking about going with a couple of danios, i just wasnt sure what temperature to keep the tank at while i wait for 2 weeks before putting fish in

It depends what fish you get; guppys, mollys, platys, neon tetras and corys all seem to prefer having the tank temp between 24 and 26 degrees; neons will die though at anything above 28.
I would say for most fish the ideal temp is 24/25 degrees.

It is bad though your heater changed temp like that; if you had fish in the tank they would have died, I would try and figure out what went wrong or get a new heater.

My boyfriend happened to it, he fiddled with the nob on top! :huh:

I keep my temperature at 28 degrees because the bacteria that causes whitespot cant live in your tank at that temperature.

I keep neon tetras along with a wide range of other fish in my tank and they have survived well......one even survived for 10 days being buried under 4" of gravel for an amazing 10 days after a little 'aqua scaping' accident (see topic on fish emergencies)

Zebra danios like temperature from about 18 - 25 celcius. I've never lost any at 25 celcius. :)

As you have no fish yet, I would look at the fish descriptions on this page, as well as others to decide what kind of fish you want. Then you can see what temperature they prefer and match your setting to something that will work for all of them. I believe the most common temperature setting is 78 degrees F.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back