Water sprite

franky

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have been advised that a good aid to algue prevetion is to plant water sprite in the tank due to the amount of nitrates it absorbs,

can anyone post me a pic so i know what im looking for, last time i went out i came back with 6 roses and a yuca :fun:

There is a drawing on Tropicas site, browse down the list of plants on the right until you reach Ceratopteris thalictroides. There are a couple of other Ceratopteris species but this is one f the common ones. A very buoyant plant, if you plant it in a weak substrate, it will often uproot itself and float to the surface.

Franky,

As LL says it is of the Ceratoperis family - you can sometimes find them at LFS but you ave to be lucky. You can get them on-line here but they are not cheap.

HTH, Eddie

:fish: Water sprite, also known as indian fern, can be planted or left to float, does best when floated. :D Available from Greenline aquatics mail order, online they are called aquaticplantseu.com. Give 'em a look :D

Tanks a million guy and gals thats a great help least i know what im looking for now, is there any other plants that you would surgest to help keep algue at bay?

One problem is, there are many different plants that end up getting called "water sprite". Here are some more pictures.

Also, for algae, if you're looking for the ol' fast-growing, low-maintenance, low-requirement, gets-its-nutrients-from-the-water kind of thng, I can't think of anything that would beat hornwort.

The stuff grows so fast it's almost scary. I bought one bunch at Petsmart two months ago, and since then, I've literally been throwing two handfulls of it away every week. That's with marginal light and no CO2.

I had some hornwort but the larger fish kept pecking at it and the bits kept clogging up the filter, Ive just replaced it with some pennywort which is a beautiful plant, it looks great once it reaches the surface, that seems to grow fairly fast.

thanks for the link, Plantgeek is well useful

Most reactions

Back