water quality

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Batman

Reaction score
Hi, Batman here, real name Jim. It,s been many years since I first kept fish but not very well and have recently purchased a trigon 190 corner tank. Its been up and running for a couple of months or so now. Fish and plants seem to do well although I have been a bit misled over what varieties make a good communial tank. Ive successfully fought off white spot and am now couping with some bullying Goramies. However that is not my real problem, the water never seems to be really clear or if so just for a short time only. It is filtered from tap, through a dual unit before going in the tank all tests indicate water ok, PH, Ammonia, Nitrite and nitrate. I have done changes of 10% every two weeks. Should it be more? 190litres, Juwel built in filter with sponges and charcoal sponge. Fish are 2 whiptails, 2 swartzis cats, 4 rosy barbs, 2,butterfly chiclids, 2 pearl goramies, 2 honey goramies, 3 rainbow tetras. Temp 78f

how do you clean your filters?

i'm guessing you wash them under the tap instead of rinsing them out in tank water from the water change.

if not then try increasing your water changes a bit, more like 20% per fortnight.

Hi Jim a few quick questions
1) How long has the tank been cycled?
2) Can you post the exact water parameters?
3) How and what are you feeding the fish? Thanks. SH

Thats quick.
Water ph 6.8 but have just started to buff to 7 per shop advice
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20ppm

Set up and planted (beginning of Feb) then just few fish 2 weeks later . then the rest added at easter

Thats quick.
Water ph 6.8 but have just started to buff to 7 per shop advice
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20ppm

Set up and planted (beginning of Feb) then just few fish 2 weeks later . then the rest added at easter
Fed once a day with flake, discs for whips and cats started recently with frozen blood worm 3 times a week

Thanks for your reply Paul.
Change filter wool after 1week and charcoal filter changed per shop 2 /3 weeeks. other filter sponges can be left untouched per shop.
Should I rinse new wool and filter b4 fitting? tap water not used

Paul_MTS said:
if not then try increasing your water changes a bit, more like 20% per fortnight.
:lol: I didn't know people still use the word 'fortnight'... but then again you're in the UK

HI Batman....thanks for the info. I suffered with cloudy tank syndrome for quite sometime. No matter what info you get here, I just think that the problem is that of a 'primordial soup', ie, new water, fish, nutrients, bacterial seeding,etc. I think the best thing to do for this is:
1) resist the temptation to add chemicals
2) continue your water changes and check paramaters
3) make sure you are not overfeeding which I think is the culprit most of the time. I was feeding twice a day like the books recommended...now I've cut back to once a day and use care. The fish are doing fine. Bored fish in a tank will always eat..same as us in front of the TV.Also, lower tank temps (75) reduce fish metabolism and the need for food
4)PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE.....my tank was so cloudy that I bought a diatom filter. It sits on the shelf now. My water is crystal and even prismatic. Hang in there..my tank took over 8 weeks to clear. SH

Most reactions

Back