Water quality!?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Justsmarti

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, what's your opinion on quality water, or what would you consider quality water? I live on a good size farm in central Missouri and we have our own well. It's roughly 300' deep and about 290' of it is through solid limestone or shale. It's awesome to drink too! When we built our house we put in a whole house filter and I use a cartridge of 5 micron. My question is will that take out the minerals I need for my tank? Also we have a water softener that effects all the water in the house except for the cold water at my kitchen sink ( don't like my tea made with soft water). I've test my hardness and it's not as hard as I thought but now I'm thinking maybe because of the filter. Tomorrow night I will check some water from a hydrant outside to see if there's much difference. My KH is 21 and My GH is 35 that is filtered but unsoftened. Good evening, Justin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 5 micron filter will only removed solid particles from the water. The minerals you need must dissolved in the water . It will not remove any minerals from the water. The water softener will however remove dissolved minerals from the water and will add some salt (sodium chloride) to the water. The depth of the well and how it taste are not relevant when talking about water quality and Aquariums.

You really need to look at General hardness (GH), Alkalinity (KH), PH, and nitrate levels (NO3). If you can post those numbers for your well water and the water softener water. We can advise you further. However water quality is also dependent on the fish you want. if you have hard water you don't want to stock fish that do best in soft water. With access to soft water from the water softener and I would guess hard water from the well you could mix the two to get water suitable for the fish you want.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back