Water Quality

ryanharis

Reaction score
I purchase a box of 5 in 1 aquarium test strips. and my results are as follows for my fish tank.
GH=180, KH = 240, pH = 6.5 Nitrite = 0, nitrate = 20
How do i lower my nitrate?
I also tested my tap water and the nitrate level is also 20

I purchase a box of 5 in 1 aquarium test strips. and my results are as follows for my fish tank.
GH=180, KH = 240, pH = 6.5 Nitrite = 0, nitrate = 20
How do i lower my nitrate?
I also tested my tap water and the nitrate level is also 20

what fish are you keeping?
a nitrate level of 20mg is pretty acceptable in most cases,

have you tested for ammonia?

just Cold water fish
I never tested for ammonia. Do i need to buy a different kit to test ammonia?

just Cold water fish
I never tested for ammonia. Do i need to buy a different kit to test ammonia?

for cold water 20mg is fine,

what size tank do you have and how many coldwater fish do you have?

you will definitely benefit from an ammonia test, goldfish are very messy and you will need to make sure the nitrite and ammonia levels remain at 0 at all times. Nitrate levels, are a bit more relaxed but if you try to keep it below 50 you won't go far wrong

Test strips are ok for rough numbers - but if you want any accuracy, then you really need liquid tests. Not much more expensive really.

Nitrate of 20ppm is fine.

Yes, agree, unfortunately the readings from strips can be misleading and so most of us use liquid-reagent based tests like the API Freshwater Master Test Kit or the Nutrafin Mini-Master Test Kit. Both ammonia and nitrite need to kept to zero via water changes if you have not fishless cycled the filter.

A 50g should have enough volume for about 4 goldfish I believe. You may want to consult with the people here who have experience with coldwater fish like goldfish. If they agree, you may want to attempt to return or rehome 2 of the fish.

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back