Water Output/Blower Direction?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

thespinningsadhu

Reaction score
Hey, y'all.

I've set up a little 2.5 gallon tank for a pretty Dumbo Betta.

I introduced the fish and a mystery snail this evening.

Lots of plants. I guess it's lots. Moss balls. Banana things. Others. The substrate is the Carib Sea FloraMax.

Things seem pretty good.

My question is about the water return thing. I read that Betta fish like to go to the top to eat and breathe. I feel like I should point the thing up at the surface to create some agitation for oxygen exchange? Is that right? If I point the thing up, however, the food doesn't float and goes to the bottom.

Where should I point the thing?

IMG_20170517_205452-01.png

Try angling it left or right if you can to see if that helps create a calmer area for the food, failing that as it is a small tank, you could create a floating ring out of airline and put the food in that, the betta will soon learn to eat from this.
Also what is the food you are feeding? pellets designed for bettas will almost always float despite agitation for a good while until they are eaten.

Thanks for that. I got regular flake food. I didn't see betta food. I'm going to get some tomorrow. Here's a photo of my guy - a friend named him Many Moons. I'll call him Eminem. LOL.

Attachments

• IMG_3126.JPG
    IMG_3126.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 65
Pretty fish.

Thanks! He really caught my eye at the store. He's something called a Dumbo Half Moon betta. I had no idea there were even different kinds of betta fish.

with regards to flow, on my old betta tank i had one of these on the outlet of the filter
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MUDDDS6/?tag=
having it half above the water half below it slowed the oultet so he could swim about and also aerated the water nicely.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Outlet from your filter if you have an external it swirls the water around the bowl gives same flow but a lot less current

What sort of filter do you have?
If you are not sure a photo of the filter will do.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back