Water gone slightly cloudy.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Angel.lisa

Reaction score
So.. I have had nitrate problems which I am slowly getting under control. I have done all the research as stated in previous post. And today the water has suddenly gone cloudy. Is this to do with tank still cycling??
Short info.
Been up for 8 weeks. Fish has been in for about 2 weeks.its a 130L with minimal stuff in there no real plants.. and about 20 small fish guppies, mollies neons and minnows 2 angels.

Tap safe is begin used with every water change I am currently doing this once daily at 10-20% to reduce the nitrates.. also using aqua pure balls to keep water clear and healthy. Did use salt for a while but was told to reduce the amount of times I put salt in

Could cloudiness be a sign of to much lighting or cycling still.
And what can I do to make the water clear again... was doing so well keeping it clear and today was like a kick when it went cloudy. Gutted I was

Thanks in advance

It's a bacterial bloom and should clear up soon. Completely normal in new tanks.
Why are you using salt?

What products are you using? (dechlorinator etc). What's the last thing you remember before noticing the problem? Nic1 has brought good suggestions.

Thanks for the reply after posting this I read about the bacterial bloom. But it did feel like a kick after working so hard to get the nitrates eye back down...
So should this bloom clear up alone with my regular water changes??

Salt

I had super high nitrates and nitrites and the guy and the fishy shop said to use salt for a week or so.(brought from them).. that was just over a week ago... levels have come down alot but still a little high..

Oh ok cool. As long as you're not using it all the time, a week is fine. Salt doesn't vapour off with water so it stays in the tank and could rise quite high causing all sorts of trouble.

To get numbers down add in some live plants... Fast growing plants like elodea (let these float) and some surface plants like duck weed or water lettuce, and keep on doing water changes. I would suggest 20-30% every day until nitrates are at around 10 and you have 0 nitrites.

The bacterial bloom is a good thing and will clear up soon. It looks bad but it isn't- it's just a sign to show you that the filter is doing its job. Give it a couple of weeks and it should be gone.

Also had a look at your stock- that's quite a lot for your tank. And you have a mixture of hard and soft water fish.
I would start (I know this sounds awful- but I'm being honest and kind :)) by giving back the Angel fish. They need tall tanks and much more room. They will become aggressive and may eat the smaller fish. Also you have live bearers that will not stop reproducing. This is a bad idea in your current tank....
Do you have hard or soft water?

Ahh thank you... was thinking of adding live plants to tank but being a newbie I wanted to keep it simple but nothing's ever that simple eh!! I will up my water change % And stay off the salt.. glad the bloom is a good thing

Umm not sure on the hard or soft water.. I will have to find out. My tank is more tall than long.. I like the angel fish lol.. but my dad has a bigger tank and if need I will let him have them.. how many fish do you recommend for my tank?? And which are the hard fish lol.

Dogafin
I used tetra easy balance which is meant to stabilize oh and reduce nitrates.
Tetra aquasafe (tapsafe)
Aqua pure balls which clears and makes water healthy.
The salt is API aquarium salt. Which I am not using now..

Angels and tetras are soft water fish and people normally keep these together.

The guppys and Molly's are hard water fish and don't do great in a soft water area, they will survive but not thrive.

Ok thanks for the advice... they don't tell you things like this in the fishy shops... x

To work out your stocking levels we would need the dimensions of the tank too I will have to look into this tomo now... My phone is going to die and the kids have my charger!!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back