Water Conditioner Before Or After Putting Water Into Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

blakeya

Reaction score
OK,
I currently have a RIO 125L & carry out regular water changes. I use a bucket to do this so i add the water conditioner to the bucket of new water before placing it into the tank with ths fish...No problem!!

Now, I am moving up to a larger 440L tank & would like to know...Do i carry on doing the water changes & adding conditioner as with my smaller tank or can i change the water then add the conditioner direct to the tank water once full??

Input greatfully received.
Cheer in advance
AndyB

OK,
I currently have a RIO 125L & carry out regular water changes. I use a bucket to do this so i add the water conditioner to the bucket of new water before placing it into the tank with ths fish...No problem!!

Now, I am moving up to a larger 440L tank & would like to know...Do i carry on doing the water changes & adding conditioner as with my smaller tank or can i change the water then add the conditioner direct to the tank water once full??

Input greatfully received.
Cheer in advance
AndyB

hi, i'd carry on conditioning the water before adding it to the tank. Better safe than sorry.

Yes, continue doing what you are doing by adding the conditioner to the buckets of water that you are filling the tanks up with, you want to condition the water before it reaches the fish, this is better than exposing them to the chemicals in the water and then conditioning, you can also add the full dose to one bucket and then continue to fill up the tank rather than add a bit to each bucket, it will do the fish no harm.

Cheers for the info,

Betta, Would this method you suggest of adding the chemical to only one bucket not be the same as:- Draining water from tank, adding new conditioner then adding water from a hose? How frequent a water change/volume can i expect to have to do with my new 440L tank assuming i am keeping 'ordinary' Tropicals? any quicker way than using buckets for this?

Regards
Andy

Cheers for the info,

Betta, Would this method you suggest of adding the chemical to only one bucket not be the same as:- Draining water from tank, adding new conditioner then adding water from a hose? How frequent a water change/volume can i expect to have to do with my new 440L tank assuming i am keeping 'ordinary' Tropicals? any quicker way than using buckets for this?

Regards
Andy

I'm a newbie too but I would assume that adding any untreated chlorinated water to your tank could kill off the precious bacteria in your filter. Perhaps it would be safer to treat the water before adding it.

Running external, so how about turning off the filter, adding new water, then conditioner, then turn filter back on??

Help
Cheers
Andy

Running external, so how about turning off the filter, adding new water, then conditioner, then turn filter back on??

Help
Cheers
Andy

Hey, that sounds like a good idea actually. Sounds plausible to me but I'm just a beginner. I think an expert will be along soon to confirm.

treat water before it goes in the tank. Why chance it? Your fish would be subjected to the chemicals of tap water for absolutely no reason.

Cheers for the info,

Regards
Andy

Hi Andy, I have not had a tank bigger than 120l before so I have only used buckets to refill, but yes you can add the conditioner first and then refill the tank with the hose providing the water that is going in is the same temp as that in the tank I see no problem, perhaps somebody that has a large tank of this size will come along in a bit to assist on how you would do this and what frequency and amount you would need to change :good:

Continued input please guys & girls. I have no other concern about keeping the larger tank at all. Just would like to make the water changes as efficient as possible. :rolleyes:

Andy

Continued input please guys & girls. I have no other concern about keeping the larger tank at all. Just would like to make the water changes as efficient as possible. :rolleyes:

Andy

If its not broke, dont try and fix it. Carry on how you are doing it, add conditioner to the bucket then into the tank. No point harming the fish with over conditioned water if you plan on adding it to the tank before you add the fresh water.

I think there are plenty of experienced fishkeepers on this forum with large tanks that use a hose to fill the tank during water changes, and dose the dechlorinator straight into the tank by the inbound stream (to aid circulation) whilst adding the water.

Squid

I think there are plenty of experienced fishkeepers on this forum with large tanks that use a hose to fill the tank during water changes, and dose the dechlorinator straight into the tank by the inbound stream (to aid circulation) whilst adding the water.

Squid

Yes. This is true. The water conditioner works instantly, so no need to treat each bucket individually. You should dose for the entire volume of the tank though as the organics in the water use up some of the conditioner (according to seachem,)

Yes, many members with larger (or even medium to small) tanks use various hose techniques rather than carry buckets. Its just as Squid and Robby said, dose for the whole tank volume and fill away, but temp becomes more important as the percentage change gets larger.

Here's what I do: Run the Python hose from the bathroom tub where the overflow bucket (this would be the bucket to clean filter media if it were filter cleaning week) is to the tank end that has the gravel cleaning cylinder on it and let it sit on the floor next to the tank. Sponge down inner glass walls, clean any algae off leaves and do any other cleaning I want to, then begin gravel cleaning by filling the gravel cleaning cylinder with tank water and lifting it up, then down, to start the siphon going. I leave my external cannister filter and external heater running during all this but there's nothing wrong with turning them off if in doubt. I deep clean all the gravel while about 50% of the water goes out of the tank into the overflow bucket in the tub way down the hall. I stop by lifting the cylinder out of the tank water and balancing the cylinder up between the tank brace and the tank lid. (I have the tank light on during all this so I can see well.)

Then, in the bathroom I fill a tall plastic cup with water from the overflow bucket and place it by the sink. I attach a brass adapter in the faucet and adjust the water temp to match that in the plastic cup using my hand as the judge. I then move the hose from the overflow bucket to the brass adapter and go back to place the gravel cleaning cylinder back in the tank in a manner that it can't fly out under force. This is when I toss in half the amount of Prime conditioner the tank calls for, right into the waterfall from the filter spraybar, so it mixes well. I then go back to the bathroom and simply lift the faucet lever (which is already adjusted to the matching temperature as my tank water) to full force. I then walk back down the hall and watch as the hose quickly fills the tank back up and then I walk back and turn it off just as the water line disappears behind the top rim. I then toss in the other half dose of Prime near the now-quiet spraybar stream. I then rescape my gravel and redose all my plant nutrients (Excel, N,P,K, micronutrients etc.), note what all has happened in my aquarium log and clean up. In the summer or good weather I simply run the siphon hose out into the garden, not the tub.

Now this is a medium small tank and I fuss over it and like to describe safe techniques to beginners but if you have a large tank and change less water then the temperature part becomes much less important (depending on your species of course.) For less than 25% in a big tank you could just pump in cold water and the overall temp wouldn't drop that much. You should measure it the first couple of times to get a feel for what's happening. For beginners I always recommend that you dose conditioner and temperature match for the first year at least as a part of lowering the risk and helping ensure you get a feel for what a well-run tank feels like before you venture off into greater risk. You can look up Python on the web. I like they way they have lots of mix and match components but its also easy to make homemade versions out of garden hose parts that work just about as well.

~~waterdrop~~ (hope you could follow all that :look: )

Thanks for that waterdrop.

Different people do it different ways, you just have to get a feel for it and adapt your technique to suit your tank's needs.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back