Water colour

moonraker

Reaction score
Good day, I have a three month old tank, 20 (UK) Gallons. I started testing the water for a couple of weeks ago, with no negative results so far. I change a "bucketful" of water once per week.

My water is a (clear) strong olive green/brown. I must be looking at my fish through this stuff. I put a chunk of bogwood into the tank when I started out, and I suspect that this is the culprit. If this is likely, how long would it take before all the colour leeches out? Should I ditch the bogwood?

What colour should the siphoned water be?

Thanks in advance for any advice

First let me :hi: you to the forum.

Bogwood will leach tannins into your water. This is usually light brown/gold and can get various shades of these colors. It could take quite a while for this to abate if you didnt boil the wood before putting in in your tank. It is harmless to the fish but like you said it can be like looking through soup to see the fish. Keep doing lots of water changes to speed the process or if you can remove it and boil it and while it is boiling replace the water as it changes color. do this several times and it should be much better when placed back into the tank. HTH :)

Thank you for the welcome. I boiled the log this morning, and expect my fish to "change colour" as the water clears. Bogwood tea is not nice!

Kevin

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back