Water Changes After Adding New Fish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

minnnt

Fish Expert
Reaction score
Hi there, I added some new fish to my tank last night and just wondered when I should do a water change to compensate for it? Also what percentage should I do?

Cheers

I would suggest to test the water and see what the test says and manage the water changes that way. I personally wait a couple of days to do a 20% change after adding new fish as I want them to have settled a little before stressing them out on the 1st change.

I would normally do a water change the day before I get new fish, then do one a week later.

Thanks for your help. Do you do the water change before hand to reduce stress for the fish? What about the ammonia spike caused by adding the new fish? Is this ok for them?

Thanks.

How many fish did you add, and i assume its a fully cycled tank?

Test the water to see if you get an ammonia spike, if you do, then water change, changing the water wont do any damage but ammonia will.
The water changes don't have to be stressful, I stand in the corner and just syphon out and then place the bucket on top of the tank and syphon back in again with fresh water and even my most skittish fish aren't really bothered. It'd be different if you'd just dumped the 10L bucket and caused a tidal wave lol.

How many fish did you add, and i assume its a fully cycled tank?

Test the water to see if you get an ammonia spike, if you do, then water change, changing the water wont do any damage but ammonia will.
The water changes don't have to be stressful, I stand in the corner and just syphon out and then place the bucket on top of the tank and syphon back in again with fresh water and even my most skittish fish aren't really bothered. It'd be different if you'd just dumped the 10L bucket and caused a tidal wave lol.

The tank is fully cycled and has been running for around 6 months post cycled. I added 2 rotkeils, 9 tiger barbs and an orange spot plec. I syphon when doing water changes also, it's alot less messy than just chucking water in. lol.

If your filter is fully cycled, I would just carry on with your water changes as normal.

I guess your tank is quite large considering you've added the rotkeils, assume your hoping they'll be a breeding pair? :)

I wouldn't worry too much, all I'd say to be on the side of caution and just test your water for a while until you feel that the filter is managing, and if it is already then its all good and resume your maintenance schedule as normal. I imagine they can pump out some waste though lol

The rotkeils certainly do seem to 'pump it out' lol the bag was full of waste when i got them home. I was hoping for m/f but i believe they are both males which isn't a problem, will just have to try and source another one. Concentrating on getting a new tank forst though. :)

Thanks for your help.

Most reactions

Back