Water change

Aks3311

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with algea wafers creating so much waste in my gravel. Today I cleaned all the gravel out and did 75% water change. I still had algea wafer waste hanging about the bottom of the tank though, I didn't know what to do as didn't want to risk removing anymore water. So I've had to replace the gravel and water back in the tank. How am I suppose to remove all the waste and how much water can I change?
Yes I do a weekly water change with a gravel cleaner but barely touches the waste.

How long has the tank been set up? How many algae wafers are you putting in at once? Tank stocking?

Agree, we need more data.

Water changes in any aquarium should be once a week and substantial; 50-70% of the tank's volume should be changed at one time (not in smaller more frequent changes). This is basic. You can clean into the substrate with the water changer during this W/C.

If sinking foods for fish like cories, loaches, plecostomus and other loricariids is not being eaten within a few hours, you are likely feeding too much. The answers to BSM_81's questions will help.

Tank been set up since Christmas. One rainbow shark. And like a quarter of a wafer of that, which he never eats, so I usually remove after about and hour or so. He doesn't seem to eat anything but is fine and I've had him for like 4 months

Tank been set up since Christmas. One rainbow shark. And like a quarter of a wafer of that, which he never eats, so I usually remove after about and hour or so. He doesn't seem to eat anything but is fine and I've had him for like 4 months

He must be eating something. Try different foods. Omega One Shrimp Pellets seem to be liked by most substrate fish. Frozen bloodworms, but only once a week as this is not a particularly nourishing food and it can cause issues if fed too often.

It should not be necessary to remove the gravel, this is the most imnportant bacteria bed in the aquarium. Clean into it during water changes, but no more. Reduce your feeding, even down to once or twice a week if it is not being eaten.

What size is the tank?

I had a red tail shark (extremely similar) and in the 10 years or so that I had it, not once did I see it eat. Obviously he ate something as he lived a full life and grew to max size.

Most reactions

Back