water behaving strangely....

curlyred

Reaction score
I've had my fish tank successfully up and running since December now, and had no porblems with the water. Last week the water turned white so i changed oart of it. No improvement so I Changed it again, along with the filter pad but the water is still white. Checked the water readings nad they seem fine, the fish dont seem affected but it doesnt look good at all! any suggestions anyone? thanks

How big is the tank, what fish and which type, and are you sure you have nitrite 0, as it sounds like a bacteria bloom.

the tank is 30 gallons, and the nitrite is definately 0. Currently contains 2 guppies, 2 bronze catfish, one peppered catfish, 2 dwarf gouramis and a honey red gourami.

How often do you maintain the tank, check filter to make sure it's in full working order.

Checked the filter again and cant find any problems. I change the tank water partially every week, and feed the fish roughly every other days and only a small amount. could someone please explain what a bacteria bloom is, and what causes it. thanks

A bacteria bloom is usually part of the cycling process, 3-6 weeks in, sometimes earlier. it is bacteria present in the water that will eventually be part of your fiter/gravel beneficial bacteria colony. It usually dissapears after a couple of days.

Jon

Most reactions

Back