Very Thin Kuhli Loach

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Atlantis1

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey guy,

I noticed last week that I had one kuhli loach that is looking extremely skinny compared to all the others (I have 6 striped loaches and 7 brown/black loaches, which are all fine). I'm not really sure what to do, I can't tell if he's eating because he just runs away when I try to feed him.

Tank size: 200 litres
pH: 7.5
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 15
kH: I don't know
gH: I don't know
tank temp: 27.5 degrees Celsius

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): very thin, seems to swim a little differently, as in seems to use bigger motions to move, but I probably just see that because he's skinny.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: one a week 10-20%

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: external canister filter with UV and carbon in it. I also add in Easy life voogle once a week.

Tank inhabitants: other loaches, guppies, platys, and 3 bristle nose and corys. No new inhabitants in a long time, the most recent new fish are these loaches (which I got a few months ago)

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): none

Exposure to chemicals: none I know of

Digital photo (include if possible):
Sorry about the stuff flying everywhere in the photo I put flakes in there to see if he would eat and I don't think he did.
era6n4.jpg

I forgot to add that I wormed the tank with a half dose of prazi because one of the platys was also very thing ( a half dose because I know loaches are sensitive) and since then the platy has gotten better but this little loach hasn't

How long has it been since you half dosed? I would suggest another half dose.

I did 2 half doses, one a week ago and the other a week before, which is what the package says to do. Should I do it again?

Are to able to move him to a separate tank and dose him. sorry I didnt realise you had already done two doses. I do think he needs another one.

I am able to do that, I am worried that it will stress him too much though and kill him, as I'm pretty sure he isn't eating at all and I know loaches like to live in their groups. But I guess if I do nothing he's just going to starve himself to death and I'll have to fish him out then...
Should I give him another half dose? Or make it a little stronger?

If you can separate him and treat him again I would do so, also to stimulate his appetite soak some food in a drop of garlic juice, this will also help boost his immune system. If you can get some in Australia then add vitazin (made by waterlife) to his food, this will also help boost his immune system.

Although yes loaches do better in groups you can treat them alone (have done with weather loach) and return them to the main tank without problems

I'd worm it. Btw : All fish in the pic, as bottomdwellers, do like to some sand / substrate on the bottom.
The other Pangios and the Cory look great !

I'd second the worms. Either tubifex or bloodworms. Worms have a fattening effect on fish and they are dearly beloved by bottom dwelling fish to eat

With the extreme swimming could it have had rough treatment when being caught, which may have caused some back/ spine damage? I know Khuli loaches can be the devil to catch and in frustration quick movements can sometimes get them jammed between the net edge and the glass of the tank.
If you have some sand in the tank you could add a colony of live Blackworms which all of the fish will adore searching for and scoffing, the cory's will suck them out of the sand and the loaches will burrow into the sand to find them.
The Khuli loaches will also appreciate some leaf litter to scuttle under and hide in, leaves such as Indian Almond will do the trick nicely and add some medicinal qualities to the water as well as change the pH.
Another food that none of my Khuli loaches or corys (well none of my fish of shrimp for that matter) can resist is Shrimp Pellets made by Wardly. The pellets break up quickly and the fish really go nuts for them.

Most reactions

trending

Back