Very Sick Silver Dollar

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

saffymoomoo

Reaction score
Hey, Im a newbie here, but have been keeping fish around ten years. But, I have serious problems with my Silver Dollar. I noticed 5 days ago she wasn't eating, which is very out of character, had a look and noticed a white mist on her mouth, pretty sure its mouth rot. It was difficult to see in the aquarium, but she may have injured her mouth, but also have recently added a few new fish, which could equally have caused the problem. Did a third water change, checked water params and treated with Interpet Anti-fungus/finrot.

Left it four days, been really busy over weekend and its been difficult to look at her mouth as she has been hiding away behind plants.But yesterday, managed to get a good look and it had got considerably worse! It look more ulcerated now rather than just on the surface, very white in colour. She hasn't eaten since I noticed her off her food. Ok, so yesterday, I set up hospital tank 9although I am going to leave the Interpet treatment in the main tank for the full course to kill off bacteria outbreak. I am just treating hospital tank with salt and Melafix. When we first put her in yesterday, she was so stressed out, which I expected, and lost her colouration, went slightly listless. But soon perked back up. Her wound looks pretty bad, lost a lot of her nose area, and she isn't eating (don't want to feed her yet anyway) but she seems fairly alert and agile despite this.

Thing is, I know she is at least 16 years old. She was given to me by a good friend 8 years ago, and was a minimum of 8 years old back then! She did have a breeding partner, who was the same age, but we lost him about 8 months ago. He definitely died of old age, he did not have a mark on him, and still looked very beautiful.

So, is there anything more I can do for this fish? I realise she is old, but she is still fighting and I am really fond of her! I also don't have any filtration on the H tank, would it be sufficient to do a water change every other day? Or shall I just purchase one?

I also wanted to query the use of the Melafix, do you re dose each day for 7 days without need for water change? (ok I realise that I will be changing water as have no filtration) but dosing every day wont cause an overdose? Does this mean the Melafix is only active for 24 hours right? Also, is it worth adding any kind of stress coat?

Thanks all x

Mouth rot is not actually a fungus it's a bacterial infection called Columnaris. You may find that an anti bacterial med, like Myxazin works, but if it has progressed too far you may need an antibiotic; that'll mean a vet's prescription if you're in the UK.

Oh, and forget about the Melafix; that's of no use once an infection has taken hold.

Hi Both, thanks for replies. I should clarify, Interpet anti fungus/finrot is actually a treatment med for bacteria that cause mouth rot, ect. Ive been observing her in Hosp tank and she has really perked up! I think it was a wound, and some of her scales have come away. melafix seems to be working a treat so hopefully the Interpet meds killed off bacteria in time. She is an O.A.P though...so will just have to wait and see. But, funny I put a tea towel half over the Hosp tank just to keep her calm and feeling safe as she has been cowering, but when I leave the kitchen ive caught her peeping through under bottom to see where Ive got too!! :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back