Very sick Betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bettafriend

Reaction score
Finny is still sick. Lump on side for two months now. Antibiotics didn't work. Water parameters are healthy. Heated, filtered, cycled tank. About 18 month old.. Lump has grown. And now, for past couple weeks, he's developed swelling in his tummy too.. But it's not constipation. Some difficulty swimming. Definitely less active. Still eats well.. Just seems sad. And I'm dying to see him like this day after day. Research indicated good chance lump is/was fluid filled, and such lumps have been drained by anesthetizing fish and using syringe. I've gone as far as buying the clove oil and syringe. But just can't bring myself to possibly hurt him. But sooo terrible to imagine him suffering. Please.. Please.. Help.. Advise. Anyone feel they know? Does this cause suffering? Idk if I could euthenize him anyway. But I need to hear "something. " better images of lump on left side in older posts. But "these" pics show the poor guys belly/tummy.
20170326_142325.jpg
20170326_142319.jpg
20170203_184247.jpg

Tumors are not uncommon with bettas, if you feel that it is a fluid filled sac (cyst) then I say go ahead and try draining it. The only problem is, it looks like his lump is within the body cavity rather than close to the surface, like in the muscle, making it much more risky to drain.

If the betta isn't feeling well enough to even eat then it's not going to end well. Once his immune system gives out and he develops dropsy, as many bettas with lump/bumps do, then you are better off euthanizing him.

He still eats normally.. Still jumps for it half the time. Just not very active at other times..

Research indicated good chance lump is/was fluid filled, and such lumps have been drained by anesthetizing fish and using syringe. I've gone as far as buying the clove oil and syringe. But just can't bring myself to possibly hurt him.
Clove oil is used to euthanize fish.
Not used correctly the clove oil will kill the fish.

I am not a fan of using clove oil to euthanize a fish, again not used correctly it causes stress.

In my opinion, the only way to do it is to quickly net the fish and using your thumb and forefinger crush its skull destroying the brain, Yes it sounds gruesome but its instant the whole process takes under 5 seconds, With clove oil it takes over 5 minutes and that in my opinion is cruel.

Then sit and wait, that's all I can say. Throwing meds at him isn't really going to work as the problem looks to be internal. Only thing I can think of, if it is a cyst/abscess, is to try a food with antibiotics in it. Until the lump ruptures or he gets worse there isn't much to be done.

I know it's hard to watch your pets suffer, I've had to euthanize a fish prized dragon's blood peacock cichlid, but it was better than watching her suffer until the end. If the fish is still eating and relatively active, then he has a chance.

Also, I agree with Nick. Using clove oil takes far longer and is far more stressful to the fish. Doing it quickly as possible is best, and that means destroying the brain all in one go. I used a knife to "pith" the brain of my cichlid, and she immediately died. Just poking the brain isn't going to do the job though, you should (this sounds terrible) twist the knife a bit and really do damage. Simply crushing her skull was a bit much for me, she was a big fish and I didn't think I could do it right the first time. It'd probably work with a small fish like a betta though.

Last edited:
Then sit and wait, that's all I can say. Throwing meds at him isn't really going to work as the problem looks to be internal. Only thing I can think of, if it is a cyst/abscess, is to try a food with antibiotics in it. Until the lump ruptures or he gets worse there isn't much to be done.

I know it's hard to watch your pets suffer, I've had to euthanize a fish prized dragon's blood peacock cichlid, but it was better than watching her suffer until the end. If the fish is still eating and relatively active, then he has a chance.

Also, I agree with Nick. Using clove oil takes far longer and is far more stressful to the fish. Doing it quickly as possible is best, and that means destroying the brain all in one go. I used a knife to "pith" the brain of my cichlid, and she immediately died. Just poking the brain isn't going to do the job though, you should (this sounds terrible) twist the knife a bit and really do damage. Simply crushing her skull was a bit much for me, she was a big fish and I didn't think I could do it right the first time. It'd probably work with a small fish like a betta though.
He still eats normally.. Still jumps for it half the time. Just not very active at other times..

Finny still struggling with swollen belly and side.. Only thing I never tried was to treat for parasites. Treated with prazipro Monday. Day five now. Can't tell, but possible slowed swelling.. Possibly even slight reduction. Tried calling Hikari about dosing instructions. Closed till Monday? Instructions are confusing. Say usually a single treatment is all that is needed which lasts 5-7 days.. Then it also says "repeat as necessary, but no more than once every 3-5 days"? Anyone make sense of this?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back