Very Ill Pleco, Please Help.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

al plecino

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Our pleco is very ill at the moment, he's so swollen up it looks like he's swallowed a golf ball, other symptoms are not eating and small blisters on his body that look red, also the lighter markings on his underside have a red patch about the size of 1p. netted him quite easily to put in the hospital container so thats not a good sign.

Tank stats,

140 litre with a fluval 404 and 203 filter, also 2 airstones.
temp - 26 degrees celcius
ammonia - zero
nitrite - zero
nitrate - 25mg/l
ph - 7.5

tank mates

5 gouramis
2 silver sharks
2 flying fox
3 clown loach
4 danios.

everyone else appears fine, just the pleco thats ill. Been using interpet 9 for suspected "dropsy" the blisters dissapeared for a few days but a couple reappeared after netting him tonight.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, weve had him about 3 years and dont want to lose him.

Thanks in advance,

Al

Sounds like some bacterial infection like columnaris or similar, do the red blotches have like a white cauliflower appearance to them? If it's really swollen and looks like dropsy it may be too late to save i'm afraid. keep treating with the anti bacterial meds in the hospital tank and just hope for the best. A couple of things to try could be treating the wounds directly with something like myxazyn. Get the fish out of the water a place it on a damp cloth with a cloth covering the head so it doesn't panic. Dab myxazyn on the wounds with a cotton bud or similar then return to the tank.

It would help in answering you questions if you listed your fish and location in your profile, even just what country you're from so we can advise meds that are available in your location.

Hi MHunt,

Thanks for the quick reply,

We are in the uk. The red marks on his underside aren't sores or wounds just the lighter stripeing on his belly that looks red coloured. The 2 "blisters" on his side look to be filled with clear fluid but have a touch of red nearest the body.

Not sure how to list tank stats and fish in the profile but will give it a go.

Al

The fish has alot of bacterial infectiosn there.
I would isolate the sick fish it has septicemia which is very hard to cure once it has advanced, the bacteria from the fish can enter the tank.
Has any fish lost weight gone thin, bent spines.

The fish has alot of bacterial infectiosn there.
I would isolate the sick fish it has septicemia which is very hard to cure once it has advanced, the bacteria from the fish can enter the tank.
Has any fish lost weight gone thin, bent spines.

Hi Wilder,

None of the others showing any signs of illness, even the pleco doesn't have a bent spine, been watching them very carefully for this but no other problems that i can see.

Ok thats fine just wanted to check.
The fish has a severe bacterial infection, how is he.

Ok thats fine just wanted to check.
The fish has a severe bacterial infection, how is he.

Hi Wilder,

No change in his symptoms, still fat with a couple of small blisters, he does seem a little bit more active tonight though that might just be wishful thinking on my part. Have you any ideas on how the infection got there and is there any preventative measures to take in the future.

Thanks

Al

Bacteria lives in your water thats why so important to keep up with tank maintance.
Bacteria can enter the fish through cuts and wounds and parasites.
If the fish is bloated an epson salt bath.
Bacterial med anti internal bacteria by interpet.
Good luck.
http://www.fishjunkies.com/Treatments/salt.php

Bacteria lives in your water thats why so important to keep up with tank maintance.
Bacteria can enter the fish through cuts and wounds and parasites.
If the fish is bloated an epson salt bath.
Bacterial med anti internal bacteria by interpet.
Good luck.
http://www.fishjunkies.com/Treatments/salt.php

Hi Wilder,

Thanks for that, now got him in a hospital tank, he was definately more difficult to net this time so hopefully thats a good sign. Been using interpet no 9 for the last week and a half so it seems to be doing something.
Should I continue to treat the main tank as a precaution although none of the other fish seem affected?.

The blisters are definately going but he's still very bloated and still got the red patch on his belly.
Been up to the petstore this morning and got some "interpet aqua tonic salt". Is this the right stuff for the salt bath and if so could you please give a step by step guide to the treatment. The guy's in the petshop didn't fill me with confidence, not even sure if they sold me the right stuff as theres no mention of epson on the packaging.

Cheers,

Al

Sorry Wilder,

Just seen your replies on another topic regarding salt baths, but am still not sure if I've got the right salt.

You need epson salt to help draw the fluids out, normal salt dosn't workias well.
The fish does have a very severe bacterial infection, carry on with the med.
Red patches on the belly septicemia very hard to cure once it has progressed, so good luck.

Septicemia- A condition where bacteria gains entry into the fish's body through wounds or the stomach. The bacteria can cause failure of the internal organs, damage to body tissue, blood vessels, and result in recognizable symptoms. This often results in internal bleeding, due to the fluids filling the fish's abdomen. Dropsy may occur as a result. The problem with this type of situation is that the bacteria is present inside the fish and safe from the antibiotics you would place in the water. It could be the result of another infection or caused from dirty water. Symptoms: Clamped fins, bulging eyes, red bellies, eroding, reddened fins, lack of appetite, and fish showing signs of being sluggish or exhibiting sluggish behavior. Treatment: It is best to feed the fish antibiotics rather than using the kinds you place directly into the water. Placing the ill fish in a hospital tank is advised while administering treatment. Check your local petstore for some good medicated food or check for antibiotics if necessary. Septicemia is fatal if not treated immediately! top

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back