Using salt to help cure Fin rot.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SPLiSH

Bettas are better!
Reaction score
I bought my first betta rescue last Sunday: a gorgeous little red VT boy who I named Jeremiah. He didn't have anything visibly wrong with him, but he was inactive in putrid water. :<

Now he's developed fin rot on the edges of his tail: it's at the early stages, just black edges and splits about this long: --

He's acting fine, and I've put some Promethyasul (multi-purpose med) in his tank but to be on the safe side I'm going to add some salt today. I last did a water change on Saturday.

I have cooking salt, these are the ingredients:

'Salt, anti-caking agent.'

Would this be okay to use? How much for a 1.5 US gallon (6 litre) tank? When should I next to a water change?

Thanks. :)

I've heard two view points for this:

1) Never ever use regular table salt for aquariums, toxic anti caking agents could kill your fish. Always use aquarium salt.

2) Use table salt if you want, the anti caking agents are in such low amounts that it's possible to use without effecting fish. If you're using so much salt that the fish are effected by it, chances are there's so much salt in the water, you've pickled your fish.

I use Kosher salt, my fish are alive and well. I generally use *about* 1 tb per gallon. It fluctuates, but kinda stays around that amount.

Hmm... my stuff is Saxa cooking salt. Would 1 tablespoon be okay for 1.5 US gals? I don't want to over-react... :unsure:

Well, my bowls are 1.25G -- but if you're nervy, use less and gradually increase as you see fit. Especially since you're doing it in addition to another medicine.

If you use the search function above, you can look for a full phrase like "how much salt" or simply "salt", and you'll get further info/opinions on the matter.

*added because she's in no position to give advice*

I only /sound/ like I know what I'm talking about, definately wait for other opinions before putting salt into your bowls. What works for me doesn't work for everyone, and etc etc etc.

Thanks soritan. :)

I've Googled stuff like 'treating rot with salt' and 'salt in betta tanks' and most of them said to use one teaspoon of salt per gallon... the tank is 1.5 gallon, but I think I'll just start with the one teaspoon.

Anyone else have advice or experience that could help me out?

The reason you shouldn't use table salt is because it IS toxic to fish. It's not the salt itself that is, though...it's all the stuff that is added to the salt.

The only salt that should be used with fish (except in the case of the rare epsom salt bath) is PURE Sodium Chloride (NaCl). If a salt you have is pure Sodium Chloride, it may be used. If it isn't, it's a big risk not really worth taking, because you may be trying to cure a fish, and then end up with just a dead fish on your hands.

Aquarium salt (and other names for pure Sodium Chloride) should be added at a dosage of 1/2 teaspoon per U.S. gallon, or 1 tablespoon per five U.S. gallons.

Hi,
Not to intrude on your post but can someone show me a picture of a betta that has fin rot?

Thanks for your help everyone. The rot has stopped progressing so I'll just add a pinch of the cooking salt and preventative meds at each water change. (I'm doing them once every three days)

The proper salt for medication is one thing but to use it due to lazy "fish keeping" on a permanent basis is another. Bettas are not from areas with a high salt content - contrary they are in low ph, and hardness. They are not a "braskish" fish. Then if one needs it for medication - you have mutated the bacteria or fungus.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back