Using Api Quick Start

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DiscoS2

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently bought a 52 Litre tropical fish tank. When I first bought the tank from a local big chain pet store they said I didn't need to do anything to the water and that I just needed to wait 3/4 days which even at the time I didn't think was right. 

I set the tank up, put the ornaments and substrate in and then filled it up with water and left it overnight whilst doing some research and reading which is where I learnt about the whole fish less cycle etc. The next day I went to another fish store and bought tester kits, water dechlorinator as well as a product called API Quick Start which according to the label on the bottle and the guy in the shop was meant to make the water safe to add fish immediately after putting it in. Again I didn't believe this so I went home and put the required dosage of chemicals in the tank and left it. 

26/10/2013
Setup the tank and filled with water. Turned the pump and heater on and left them running.

27/10/2013
Bought the chemicals and put them into the tank. The chemicals consisted of water dechlorinator and the API Quick Start.

28/10/2013
Used the testing kits and obtained the following results.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
PH: 7.5
KH: 240
GH: 180

30/10/2013
I then left the tank for two days and tested again today. Here are the results.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
PH: 7.5
KH: 240

GH: 180

As you can see the results are exactly the same. Both times I've tested.

My questions are:
  1. Is my tank ready for fish or has the cycle not even begun yet?
  2. I think according to the results that these are the kind of results you want however I am unsure of KH and GH and my PH is a bit alkaline but as long as its stable then thats ok?
  3. What else should I be doing?

welcomeani.gif
to the forum.

(1) No, the tank is not ready for fish. THere is some debate as to whether these "instant cycle" products work, I personally think most of them don't. However, even assuming they do work, and the product allows bacteria to survive, they will not have established themselves in 4 days, and since you have not been providing them with a food source (ammonia) they will not be viable now. See my answer to (3)

(2) Those results are the kind of results you want when there is a source of ammonia in the tank. You are right that a stable pH is better than an unstable one, and there's nowt wrong with 7.5. Mine is 7.8.

(3) You should be reading the Pinned Thread at the top of this forum about how to fishless cycle a tank the right way ;)

Hey Welcome to the forum,

The lock man beat me to it. :p but as I typed already haha.....

The Nitrogen cycle needs a source of Ammonia, here, all that has happened is theres dechlorinated tap water sitting with everything running. To kick start the cycle a pure ammonia source is needed. Household ammonia 9 or 10% is good. Obvs the fish produce ammonia through excrement etc and waste fish food for example. This is what the necessary bacteria needs to convert to Nitrite then to Nitrate etc.

All is mentioned in the link on my signature. Have a read if you havent already. Great to see you chose fishless.

I have no experience with API Quick Start, but know that Dr Timms and Tetra safe start come with some recommendation by some members. Personally, I used TSS and its didnt work. So I too do not recommend them.

I did a fishless cycle from scratch with no quick start type chemicals in 4 weeks (just over). Oatientce is a virtue and one that is satisfying. Despite the wait - do it and reap the rewards.

Do you have anyone/friends with a freshwater tank already set up? if so, you could steal some filter sponge and a handful of gravel to kick the cycle along.

I'll also add this forum is a great place to learn and ask questions. I recently started and have learnt lots from other members and no one minds you asking questions (as I found out - some of my q at time were obvious but to a new aquarist - vital).

Thanks for the replies. I thought this would be the case and that is why I asked.

So where do I get this household ammonia from? Is it something Tesco would have or is it more a B&Q kind of thing?

DiscoS2 said:
Thanks for the replies. I thought this would be the case and that is why I asked.

So where do I get this household ammonia from? Is it something Tesco would have or is it more a B&Q kind of thing?

One member recently said that Homebase started stocking it again so always worth a try if you have on locally  If not, I got mine on ebay £3.95 called "Kleen off" - even says in listing title - suitable for aquarium cycling. White bottle red/orange top -  I used this and was fine and cycled and delivered in a day or 2.

Try and find one thats just ammonia and water no extra added stuff. A good test i've seen people say is to shake it - if it clouds and bubbles, it's not pure.

Which test kits do you have?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kleen-Off-Household-Ammonia-Suitable-for-fishless-aquarium-cycling-500ml-/230928834948?pt=UK_HomeGarden_CLV_Cleaning_CA&hash=item35c46e6184

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, Homebase sell it, it's in the Household Cleaning section.

Ok thanks guys. The thing that annoys me the most is that both shops told me information that was wrong just so I would buy fish a bit sooner? I don't know if they do this because other people are impatient and they get fed up of people complaining or they actually believe that this is the case?

ADW1988 said:

I can't remember off the top of my head but I can tell you they aren't the liquid ones, they are the paper test ones so i realise that they aren't going to be the most accurate.

DiscoS2 said:
Ok thanks guys. The thing that annoys me the most is that both shops told me information that was wrong just so I would buy fish a bit sooner? I don't know if they do this because other people are impatient and they get fed up of people complaining or they actually believe that this is the case?

I can't remember off the top of my head but I can tell you they aren't the liquid ones, they are the paper test ones so i realise that they aren't going to be the most accurate.

Unfortunately they do.. It's annoying but most Local fish shops will do this. To make a sale. Like any retail, its all about Turnover, and only very rarely do you find someone to give you the right advice.

It happens to a lot of us. It happened to me. I went to my LFS before finding this site. They gave me a bottle of Tetra safe start, 5 Harlequin Rasboras and 4 Zebra danios.
rip.gif
  sums it up. I lost all 9. Finding ou as wellt after Danios are too lively for the size tank i have anyway so shouldnt have been sold to me! So you're not alone on dodgy advice from an LFS

It is sad and these quick start products are costly too..

I would recommend the API Freshwater Master test kit as it is a lot more accurate, and vital for the cycle article listed in my sig by TwoTankAmin. I also got this on ebay for £16.95 (its £35 in my pets at home). I saw one for £18.95 which I will be getting as my ammonia tester is almost out.

Not had a prob and all the Tests work fine despite being off eBay
smile.png

ADW1988 said:

I would recommend the API Freshwater Master test kit as it is a lot more accurate, and vital for the cycle article listed in my sig by TwoTankAmin. I also got this on ebay for £16.95 (its £35 in my pets at home). I saw one for £18.95 which I will be getting as my ammonia tester is almost out.

I think I will hold off buying more test kits at the moment. I think the test kits I have at the moment are both API. I have spent quite a bit recently and should probably cool it a bit. Damn these new hobbies :)

haha costly isn't it.. The initial outlay is q immense I don't blame you. Certainly something to consider in the future. :)

Good luck :) hope all goes well with the cycle.. keep us updated :)

Basically, one can use the same method to know how well "cycled" any new tank might be whether it is a planted tank, a tank seeded with items from an established tank, a bottled bacterial starter such as those mentioned above.

After the tank is up and ready to go (plants in, seeding/bacteria added) you simply add the quantity pf ammonia needed to get a tank to 3 ppm. Then you wait 24 hours and test. A tank ready for fish should read 0/0/some amount of nitrate. The nitrate is the worst test and I rarely use it.

If there is any ammonia or nitrite showing, the tank is not cycled and you should be following the cycling directions here. If the ammonia read close to 3 you are at the beginning. If the ammonia is under one you are like nearer the end of cycling. Your test results for ammonia and nitrite should make it clear where along the cycle you may be.

I am not a big fan of the API product as it makes claims I do not know to be true. Most notably regarding the shelf life of the product. However, I have never used it so I cannot say it didn't work for me. I am a fan of Dr. Tim's which I can say has on several occasions.

One note: Using Dr. Tin's you should do 2 ammonia doses and be cycled in about week. You tell using the same method I just outlined above.

Just an update. Added some household ammonia at 9.5% strength to the tank (I realise now not to get it too close to my eyes :)). I am now just waiting half hour to test it to make sure the right amount was added.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back