*urgent*-major Fish Problems (please Look + Help)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ukfan

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have been stressed with this same disease now that my fish have had over the two weeks. I have been posting left, right and center on this forum, yet nobody have been able to give me solid treatment on how to cure my injured fish.
I am going to describe my fish and what problems they have.

I will post pictures of each fish Very soon

My 6 platy: 2 males, 4 females. 1 female is pregnant.
One of the male platy is in the worst shape a fish can be, its slimy, flickering, hiding in a corner under the filter and has these white blobs on its tail and top of its body area. I don't know what the hell this is called but I'm trying to best describe it.
I have been so worried of this fish.
The over male platy is just slimy.

When I mean slime I mean that their fins are down and that their tails are floppy and very moveable not as it should be.

The rest of the females have just the white blobs on its tail and top of its body area and are also slimier.

I have 1 Red tailed black shark. I'm not quite sure what the problem is but I have seen him flickering now and then. But what I have noticed is that he keeps sitting in the castle I have in my tank!

4 female guppies. 2 of which are hanging at the surface area and the others have the backs kinda slightly bent, i don't know if their backs are broken or not but they just sit in one place at the surface area.

1 Ruby/rainbow shark. Again, flickering and rubbing against objects.

------------------------------------------------------

I have 8 neon tetras which are very fat, now I don't know weather they are pregnant or just fat/disease?

Recap:

6x platy-white blobs on its tail and top of its body area + slime
1x RTBS flickering and rubbing + hiding very often in the castle
4x guppies hanging near surface area not moving very often
1x ruby shark flickering and rubbing

Treatments that I have used and have:

Green algae control
Velvet control
fin rot and fungus-almost finished
tap water safe guard
snail control
Methylene Blue
Revitaliser

I am very concerned about this guys, please give me your absolute best result not just what you think. I am at an edge where I think some of my fish could possibly die, if not treated correctly with the right information.
I have been on different websites and been to many pet shops where they have all said different things.

Some of you on here have told me that my these fish have fin rot, I have just about finished 1 bottle of it and its not cured them.

SO please can you reply back, PM me or send me an Email on [email protected]
of what you know can be treated to make my fish become healthy.

There is one problem that could be the reason of all this and that is I do most of the time leave my tank light on, I don't know weather this is a problem or not but I have read that you should only leave it on for 8-10 hours a day. I usually leave it on all day if I am not at college.

Another thing is that my filter is not working properly and that could also affect my fish. It has not been blowing bubbles like it should be. I did clean it out 2 weeks ago and people reckon that it has air inside it therefore not working/blowing bubbles. I have lifted it above the water and it seems fine BUT the only thing is It is nosey as hell and my mum cannot stand the noise..
It is louder then the fridge.
So for 2 weeks my filter has not been working best as it should be

Thank you to all members who do give me support and advice. Much appreciated!

Thank you,

sounds like white spot, can be easily treated whith protozin. get it from ur local fish shop! the bent backs is a common thing with guppies, there is a name for it but i cant remember it! but i dont think its treatable. the rubbing on objects explains the white spot (ich).

im not sure what the slime is. look it up on the net and see what you can find on the slime situation!

Hi there, there is some important information there:

You have combined many kinds of medication, which is very bad for any living organism, but especially for fish as the combined effects of the treating chemicals are now continually circulated in the water.

I would suggest doing a heavy water change, (70%) with treated water of the same temperature.

Replacing the filter with one that works! :)

and leaving for a couple of days.

The temperature of your tanks is also important, I would raise this slightly after a few days and add a small dose of melafix to help the fish recover.

Perform another water change (25%) after a another couple of days, and add another dose of melafix, continue this treatment until you notice either:

A: improvement, or the prevailance of one symptom of fish disease/behaviour.
B: improvement and more activity.

If A is evident, look up that specific symptom and treat only that illness (e.g. white spot treatment).

I hope that helps!

Also it is perfectly acceptable to remove fish from the tank that are obviously too far gone and unable to recover, as these disease vectors will hamper fish recovery.

Oh I dont use all them treatments i'm just sayin thats the ones I have.

I have used Green algae control, fin rot and fungus-almost finished, tap water safe guard (when doing water change), Methylene Blue and Revitaliser

Here is my stats that I know of:

Tank size: 3foot and abit
pH: 6.5
ammonia: I know thats ok as I did this before
nitrite: I dont know how
nitrate: I dont know how
kH: I dont know how
gH: I dont know how
tank temp: is around 28-29c

How many fish do you have in the tank.
Take s sample of your water to the lfs and tell them to write the readings down for you.
Need to know your water stats as slimey skin and flicking and rubbing can be due to bad water quality to parasites.
Slimey skin is when the fish is producing more slime coat to protect themselves.
Parasites and bad water quyality can cause bacterial infections on top.
The white blob does it having any red edging to it, is the blob raised or flat.

I have around 20 incuding baby fry

What is the IFS?
How much should the test kit be and what does it consist of?
last time I did my water change was 2 days ago.

I usually do it every 3-4 weeks as thats what I have been told.

I cleaned my filter 2 weeks ago.

I have never heard of melafix and not sure if they have that at the pet shops over here. Your in UK right?

The white blobs are flat some are liek arched

Also noticed that the colour of my water is very very Green!

LFS - local fish shop
Test kits are about £25 - You need one that tests Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite. Would be good to have one that might also test PH.

You should really be doing a water change more frequently, smaller ammounts more often is better than larger ones irregularly.

How do you clean your filter ?

We are in UK yes. Melafix is a herbal remedy - good for well being if you like, its also a mild antispectic

You have algae problems in your water.

Remember if you are treating your water and not changing much, with different treatments, they might ALL still be in your tank, hence the post suggesting a large water change.

The most important thing is the test kit as wilder suggested. Get a freshwater test kit (liquid based) ASAP - get the readings and post them here and we can help.

LFS= Local Fish Store.

You can have them test the water at your lfs, have them write the numbers down, as what many shops consider "fine" is not actually fine. We need numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, gH, & kH. As I'm not from the UK I can't comment on the price for a test kit, they cost less than filling your tank with gas if that gives you any idea.

What is the make & model of your filter? There are plenty of folks familiar with various filters & other aquatic hardware, it may be just a simple adjustment, or a replacement part needed. I am betting that these problems you are having are filter related, causing the water parameters to be off. This stresses fish, and stressed fish have a lowered immune response, making them more suseptable to diseases.

It sounds like you have a bacterial disease, probably columnaris, and will need antibiotics. Medication availability differs from country to country, someone from the UK would be able to advise you on the best med available.

The green water is an algae problem, and probably related to extended periods of light. Unless you have live plants aquarium lighting is for the benefit of the aquarist, and fresh water fish will get by with room light just fine.

Ok thanks guys I since it will be the weekend tomorrow I will be on the hunt for a test kit!

Once I get the ratings I will post them ASAP

I clean my filter by rubbing the two sponages togther under the tap water to get rid of all the black drit etc untill they go white. I do not wash the filter only the sponge then pop it back in the tank once its done.

Yes my mum has been saying use the aglae control !

Is if dangerous to do aheavy water change like 75% or so?
The reason why I only did upto about 30% is that I have baby fry in a breeder net that is hung on the edge of the tank lid by metal hooks. Its at a certain hieght that you cannot do any more water otherwise the baby fry will not have any water to swim in unless I have someone hold the net untill i take the water out.

I clean my filter by rubbing the two sponages togther under the tap water to get rid of all the black drit etc untill they go white.

:no: Wash the sponges in old tank water, not tap water.
by washing your filter sponges in tap water, you are actually killing off most, if not all of the bacteria that process the ammonia and nitrite to make them harmless. It's the chlorine in the tap water that does it. :\ that may have contributed to your problems...

I have just now found one of my female guppies dead, the one I knew straight away was hanging at the surface area

Ok guys today I took my filter to the LFS near me and told him that its not working properly, well he tested it and everything and said its working fine. He just said that the impalar inside can sometimes break but its working fine.

I then told him about my fish problems and so he gave me some tetra medica fungistop, rapid cure of fish fungus.

Also today I did about 70% water change

Guys the only thing I forgot to buy was the testing kit :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back