Urgent help needed

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Nicola Shaw

Reaction score
My husband and I are completely new to keeping fish, as we only started a month ago. We have had five terras in our tank since December and a male swordtail. On Sunday we introduced 4 male guppies after a 50% water change during the week to clear waste.

The male guppies wouldnā€™t leave the filter and kept swimming towards the flow of the filter force. They would swim away and then come back voluntarily. The male swordtail kept chasing them and bashing into all four guppies.

Overnight, all four guppies died. They were found stuck to the filter and with their tails and fins shredded. No idea if it was stress, bullying or the suction - or indeed poor water. Iā€™ve tested the water and it is all fine.

This morning weā€™ve woken to all 4/5 neon tetras dead too! All stuck to filter too.

Can anyone tell me what is happening?!? We donā€™t want to lost our five banded barb or our swordtail next.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Can you post pictures of the sick, dead and live fish?

Wipe the inside of the glass down and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day until the issue is identified or resolved.

The following link has information about what to do if your fish gets sick. It's pretty long and boring but worth knowing. I recommend printing it out and reading it in bed to help fall asleep.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/#post-3804819

As Colin said pictures would be a great help.

Just a bit of advice for next time.
If possible it is a good idea to quarantine fish before adding them to an established tank. Just a small tank or bucket with an air stone and some filter media, and monitor for signs of problems

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back