Upsidedown Catfish With Huge Belly -Advice Needed

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishnovice

Fish Herder
Reaction score
just noticed that my upsidedown catfish has a very big round belly which wasn't there before. No sign of dropsy or any illness and it's swimming actively and feeding well.Maybe it's just overeating.... or could it be a female with eggs?
1.How do you tell sexes apart in synodontis?
2.S/he is the only syno in tank. Will she become eggbound (if it's a she)?
3.I have 2 other probably crossbred synos in another tank, very similar in colour, sizse and shape but their dorsal fins are less "ragged" - one even swims upsidedorn most of the time. Don't know their sex but still slim. Should I put fat one in their tank for breeding or will they attack her?

Hi fishnovice :)

I'm going to move your thread to the catfish section. You might attract some good advice there.

one of mine used to have a massive belly. i dont know if its coincidence or not, but since i moved him to a bigger tank his belly has vanished.

just noticed that my upsidedown catfish has a very big round belly which wasn't there before. No sign of dropsy or any illness and it's swimming actively and feeding well.Maybe it's just overeating.... or could it be a female with eggs?
3.I have 2 other probably crossbred synos in another tank, very similar in colour, sizse and shape but their dorsal fins are less "ragged" - one even swims upsidedorn most of the time. Don't know their sex but still slim. Should I put fat one in their tank for breeding or will they attack her?

Hi, you do not say which type of upside down catfish you've got. Is it a Brachysynodontis batonsoda or the smaller synodontis nigriventris.

Either way, with most syno's the way to sex them is by observing the ventral area: females have a slightly raised circular area, whereas males have a small "tag" it is more noticeable in some species than others - check out planet catfish or scotcat for advice.

The swelling could be that the fish is slightly eggbound, or more likely constipated/ or has a blockage. Achange in diet may solve this problem.
I had a Brachysynodontis Batonsoda for over 23 years, it grew to 8" it was a very gentle fish which could be kept with much smaller fish without problems, over the years it was occassionally "off colour" where it would go very pale for a day or two. It would soon return back to its normall healthy dark colouration. Good luck with yours

Hi, you do not say which type of upside down catfish you've got. Is it a Brachysynodontis batonsoda or the smaller synodontis nigriventris.

Either way, with most syno's the way to sex them is by observing the ventral area: females have a slightly raised circular area, whereas males have a small "tag" it is more noticeable in some species than others - check out planet catfish or scotcat for advice.

The swelling could be that the fish is slightly eggbound, or more likely constipated/ or has a blockage. Achange in diet may solve this problem.
I had a Brachysynodontis Batonsoda for over 23 years, it grew to 8" it was a very gentle fish which could be kept with much smaller fish without problems, over the years it was occassionally "off colour" where it would go very pale for a day or two. It would soon return back to its normall healthy dark colouration. Good luck with yours
I was told it was an upsidedown cat when I got it but it looks more like a featherfin and never swims upsidedown. At the moment it's still fat but otherwise Ok. I've rarely seen it eat but I feed the tank it lives in as a whole flake, courgette JMC pellets daily and occasional bloodworm. Not sure which of these, possibly all, the syno eats.
What change of diet would you recommend?

Sounds like it's a Synodontis Nigriventris then. It may well be a female as they are more "rounded" than the males. Less colourful though, dark spots over a light brown base. The brachysynodontis is pretty much a solid brown/grey colour with a dark spot at base of the caudal fin, & has a matt black belly - presumably so it cannot be seen from above when swimming inverted.

As for your fishes diet, yours sounds fine, varied, roughage etc. you could try glassworm or live bloodworm, woodlice & chopped earthworms as an occasional treat.

Also you could add another two S.Nigriventris, to stimulate possible breeding, you never know - it has been bred in captivity. If you do find some more - the males are more slender & colourful.

Don't forget to look in the "fish species index" on this site, there is a very helpful article with pictures that may help you with identification.

Most reactions

trending

Back