Upgrading tank - CAE with amanos?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Airec0101

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been in the tropical fish keeping hobby for a little while and I've recently ordered a 230 litre (~60 gallons) tank to upgrade from my biorb - I know people don't like these, I found it to be okay but not great.

Anyway, a relative of mine is moving house and currently has a 100 litre temperate tank with a Chinese Algae Eater and 4 danios in. I have agreed to mind their fish for them until they've moved and their tank is set back up and ready.

In my 60 litre I currently have 6 neon tetras, 1 dwarf gourami (male), 8 amano shrimp and a few platy fry - these fry are going to a new home when they're a bit older.

I am going to set up my new tank in the next few days and cycle it. I know tetras are quite weak so they won't be the first fish in the tank, I'm thinking of using the danios and CAE.

However the current owner wants rid of these anyway and the CAE used to be mine. He's always been a very docile fish for a CAE, never chases other fish and just spends most time chilling on his favourite leaf. Im just worried about him around my amano shrimp. I don't want them being eaten! They're quite big now but I'm still concerned. The CAE is ~4 years old so I'm guessing he's fully grown.

Does anyone know if the CAE could be a problem for the amanos? I will have lots of hiding places, plants - love a heavily planted aquarium.

Also I would quite like a school of corydoras - would they be at risk from the CAE?

Many thanks!

Chinese Algae Eaters can reach 12 inches in length and will sometimes eat small things including fish and shrimp. This usually happens at night and is more common in fish that don't get enough food.

If you have an established filter on the bio-orb, you should use that on the new tank. Just put gravel in the new tank and fill it up with water from the bio-orb, add filter and fish. Then top up with dechlorinated water.

Keep the feeding down for a few days and monitor the ammonia levels and you should have an instant cycled tank.

Chinese Algae Eaters can reach 12 inches in length and will sometimes eat small things including fish and shrimp. This usually happens at night and is more common in fish that don't get enough food.

If you have an established filter on the bio-orb, you should use that on the new tank. Just put gravel in the new tank and fill it up with water from the bio-orb, add filter and fish. Then top up with dechlorinated water.

Keep the feeding down for a few days and monitor the ammonia levels and you should have an instant cycled tank.
Thanks so much :) I'll give that a try!

Most reactions

trending

Back