Upgrading - Cool Fish To Add?

BrutusFry

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
this is my first post here. 
fish.gif

I have a 30Gal tropical tank and will be upgrading to a 50Gal corner tank in a few weeks. Super excited! I am looking for some advice about interesting and peaceful fish I could add. I was thinking of adding a few larger fish to mix with my smaller crowd. 

So far I have:

9 dalmatian mollies (2 of them males) + a few fry
5 albino cory cats
5 sterbai cory cats
4 kuhli loaches

Everyone gets along very well and is very healthy and happy. The cory cats are still on the smaller side but growing well.
Some ideas I had were an angel possibly, and I would like to add a pleco of some sort.

Ideas much appreciated!

thanks!

If I were you I'd rehome one species of the corys and get at least 10 more of the species you're keeping and add at least 10 kuhlis.

:hi:

I agree with Zante -- especially on adding more kuhli loaches, since they do best in groups.

Rehome the mollies to their own tank (perhaps the 30g you're vacating).  Like all livebearers, they thrive in hard, basic water -- whereas all your other inhabitants prefer soft, acidic water.  And if possible, get at least one more male.

Rehoming isn't an option. But I could put the sterbai with my Discus. Have to think that through tho.
How many corys should I have in total? 15?

I will add more Kuhlis as soon as I can find some more.

I cannot give the mollies their own tank. One of the reasons for the upgrade is that the current tank is falling apart. 

What could I add which would go with these fish? My water is hard with a pH of 7.3 and it seems to make most of the fish happy.

Albinos won't be particularly happy in that water, but would be happier than the sterbais.

The sterbais will be fine with the discus.

Both species need to be in fairly large herds to be happy, so I'd up both to at least 15.

would a peaceful variety of gouramis work with the mollies in the hard water?

How about more livebearers?

To be honest mollies are more brackish than freshwater, I have even seen them in reef aquariums, thriving and breeding. They'd probably be better off in a tank of their own with slightly brackish water.
Fish that could happily live in those conditions: desert gobies. Lovely little fish, lively and prolific. Hard as nails too, you REALLY have to make an effort to kill them.

Most reactions

Back