The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Teagers

Reaction score
So I know how to normally change my betta's water when his tank and the new water are the same temperature. The issue is I live in a dorm with no AC so I have a fan on his little tank so the temperature doesn't go too high. However, because of the fan on his water, the water I want to add is a different temperature and so I don't know what the safest route is that I should go because he really can't wait long for the new water.

Is the new water warmer or colder than what is in his tank?

(Oh, I forgot to say hello, how rude of me! Hello and welcome to the forum :) )

Thank you! The new water is warmer.

Am I understanding correctly, that the tap water (the new or fresh water) is warmer than the water in the tank?

So you cannot get cool/cold water from the tap? Perhaps cool some plain tap water in the refrigerator and mix it...? I assume there is some issue behind this...so I'll move forward.

A change in temperature of the water in the aquarium is usually not problematic provided it is slow (i.e., natural, due to the room temperature adjusting slowly) either up or down, and provided it is not too great of a change. Fresh water as in a partial water change should be close to the temperature of the tank water. It can vary up or down but not by much, or it can cause a shock that could be stressful at best and fatal at worst.

Changing smaller amounts of water more frequently can help get around a significant temperature change when you have no control over the fresh water temperature. However, there is no point in adding water that is much warmer and then cooling it somewhat quickly in the tank. This too may be too much too rapidly.

Byron.

How miserable you must be to live in a dorm with no AC this time of year - and to not be able to have cold water from the tap! Do you have access to ice? You can always cool your water by setting it in a bigger bowl of ice or just adding the ice directly to the water - can't believe it would take much. What temperature is the betta's aquarium at? I rhink they are supposed to be 74-78 which gives you quite a spread. If you don't have ice you can always set the new water in front of the fan until it cools down (although I'd just shoot myself if I couldn't get access to ice water)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back