Unusual bettas...?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

wow, those of you do reasearch the speacies you pick up at your lfs' right? because the reason your bronuru died quite possibly be because they require a very low pH and very acidic water. i tried very hard to get my hands on some before a more expierienced breeder suggested that i first try a species that does not demand such tricky water parameters. the same goes for albimarginata it basically lives in a swamp and requires a ph of 5.5-6. please please please research the wild species of betta before you get them.
the betta brownorum you had was one year old, then it died, it is possible that the reason its immune system was so low was because of its water condiitons.
i would not trust any wild type bettas from my lfs and for all of you looking for wild tyupes please research this: www.ibc-smp.org(the ibc has a species maintenence program for all the species of betta including a list of breeders), also check http://www.bettysplendens.com/articles/catview.asp?catid=533 as victoria has a nice group of articles about wilds, the international anabatoid(sp) association www.iaa.org has a stock shop and from them i bought my first pair of imbellis.

please feel free to email or pm me with questions.

and yes 250.00 is not an uncommon price for betta macrostoma on or off of aquabid, sometimes they can go for 400.00 and it is because they are both beautiful and rare.

There's so little known on so many species, it's kind of an ever changing project. I was told that nearly half the fish in the smp are questionably labeled. It was compared to a Pokemon game actually, where the SMP went crazy with "gotta get em all!" and in the mix they didn't cover every angle such as precise location.

That's what makes our show in June such a big deal. Our main objective is a huge wild class. The IBC has allowed us to invite breeders from Thailand and Singapore and such to enter wilds for show and auction for the first time ever. Whereas before they couldn't and if the IBC wanted to import a species,they had to buy 500 of them and so they just didn't often. We already have pre-registers of bettas no one has heard of. Gerald Griffin is the head of the SMP and he will be there to help properly identify them all. The people who are sending them in are also sending the exact locations of where they caught the fish. It's really going to be awesome. Ok, I'm done :p

I actually researched the conditions for my Betta brownorum, and treated the conditions for him perfectly. He was about two years old when he died. The store where I got him lost him for a long time in one of their tanks that had plants in it, and that's part of the reason his immune system was suppressed. The only way they still knew he was there was because they put a male Betta splendens in that tank, and he flushed out my little brownorum.

I had him for 6 months in water that was treated to make the water soft and acidic, and he was fed well with live and frozen worms. The water was great for him. He was active, he ate well, and he was never sick a day in his life until the ich showed up.

Every fish in my possession (especially any oddities or those with any kind of special needs) have been researched thoroughly, through different sources, often for hours, until I can design a tank perfectly for their exact needs, down to the slightest bit in water quality. I spent quite a bit of money getting the water perfect for that little B. brownorum.

Most reactions

Back