Unknown Infection/disease

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Electric Warrior said:
Not sure what country you are in, but can you get a hold of someĀ Metronidazole for the HITH?
I'm in the US, Midwest Illinois. I would have to call local stores. Unfortunately we have commercial pet stores such as Petsmart and Petco around my area and they don't always carry the types of medicine people recommend, they have a small selection. Is there a name brand that has metronidazole as the ingredient or would it just be by the name metronidazole?
I've also been told that it seems my Pleco is exhibiting signs of INTERNAL parasites. What would I treat him with if this is the case? Do they make medicated bottom feeder food?
Well, its an antibiotic so it's worth researching to see you if you can buy it over the counter there. Ā I know that in the UK, you need to get it from a vet. Ā It's supposed to work pretty well to treat HITH from what I have read, but I haven't dealt with that disease personally. Ā As far as you pled goes, when you say internal parasites, what are the symptoms exactly? Ā there are quite a lot of medications that are used to treat internal parasites, and many are available in pet shops. Ā How's your water supply doing now? Some more about HITH/Hex:Ā http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-health/freshwater-conditions/hexamita.aspx

His stomach is sunken, his eyes are sunken.. He has a wound on his stomach from getting stuck to the filter.. His underbelly looks TERRIBLE right now. He is no longer eating..
More work has just been started on my street AGAIN, had my water completely shut off all yesterday and for the next 2-3 days, we're on "boil order" so I definitely can't use the tap again..
The medicine you are describing is available to me at the local Petsmart. I am going today to pick some up.. Will dose my main tank with it.. There is only one fish showing signs of illness in my main tank now, which is the blood parrot in the pictures. Everyone else is fine.. And the Pleco. I'm mainly worried about him at the moment. Idk what to do for him. I just took pictures of him but I don't know how to post them in comments?

You have to upload the photos to photo bucket/imageshack/etc., and then copy/past the link in here. Ā I am originally from the US but I can't for the life of me remember any medicine brands that were sold in aquatic shops over there. Ā Do you have Esha over there? Ā It's generally regarded as a very good brand, and they make several different medicines for different diseases. Ā As far as the Metronidazole goes, definitely read up on how to use it because I know sometimes its in tablet form and it needs to be actually fed to the fish, therefore you have to crush it and mix into food.

I made another post in the emergency section just for the pleco, http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/430105-help-need-advice-for-extremely-ill-pleco/?p=3639682

And no I have never heard of Esha around here. It'd be great if I could get my fish to ingest the medicine.

I mentioned parasites about my pleco because at the beginning onset of him being sick, he was eating just fine but his stomach was sinking. I have been told that could be internal parasites. He's been treated with external parasite medicine and hasn't had any improvement

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back