United States Fish Store Directory

State: Tennessee
City: Paris
Store: Petite Pets

Variety/ Selection: 7
Cleanliness and quality: 8
Staff friendlyness and Knowledge: 6
Smiley rating: :blink:

Only actual LFS near me. Sometimes they are real friendly sometimes there not. It depends on the day.

State: Kentucky
City: Murray
Store: Walmart

Variety/ Selection: 1
Cleanliness and quality: 1
Staff friendlyness and Knowledge: 1
Smiley rating: :sick:

Fish are ALWAYS sick. Tons of dead fish in tanks

State: New Jersey
City: Pennsauken
Store: Value Pet Center

Variety/Selection: 9 If they don't have it is in stock and it is legal they probably can get it for you.
Cleanliness: 7 The occasional dead fish or algae spot but over all healthy fish
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 8 would be a nine but there is one employee that lies outright to the customers.(*cough*PJ*clear throat*)

State: Michigan
City: Portage
Store: MV Pets

Variety/Selection: 3
Cleanliness: 5
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 4 It really depends on who is there. There are two owners, and the one talks out of his ass all the time
Smiley Rating: :sick:
Overall I don't recommend buying fish from here because I've seen some very sick fish many times. My brother has been bit a few times from buying fish there. They did just move to a new store so their selection is not the greatest right now, but it never was in their old store. They no longer have any plants...basically the saltwater stuff is the only good part about this store.

City: Kalamazoo
Store: Deep Sea

Variety/Selection: 4
Cleanliness: 1
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 3
Smiley Rating: :sick:
Basically Deep Sea use to be a great store, then they merged with one of the discount pet supply stores. If they do have any cool fish, they are usually sick. This store is much like MV, they have a good salt selection. Dirty, smelly, rude employees, crazy prices.......

City: Lansing
Store: Preuss Pets
[URL="http://www.preusspets.com/"]http://www.preusspets.com/[/URL]

I know it was already done, I just wanted to add that if you live within 2 hours of the store it's worth checking out. I have been there countless time.....they consider me and my brother regulars....and it's a little over an hour away! And their prices are great, lower then the discount pet stores on almost everything.
Oh, and I think the smiley rating should be :drool: lol

Variety/ Selection: 10
Cleanliness and Quality: 10
Staff Friendlyness and Knowledge: 10
Smiley Rating: :good:
Comments: This is the Disneyland of LFS. The owner is on-site 90% of the time, and all the staff are extremely educated. They are an exotic specialty store- not really dog/cat stuff, and all staff are specialized so that they only work in thier area. I have never seen another store like this, it really is something you have to experience. They do a lot of community education as well, which is awesome.
Couldn't of said it better myself

State: New Jersey
City: Ramsey
Store: Fish Town USA

Variety/Selection: 9
Cleanliness and Quality: 9
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 8
Smiley Rating: :)
Comments: I've only been to this store once but I was happily surprised at how much they offer. They have a large selection of both freshwater and saltwater fish & invertebrates. I had gone for a guppy and they have some of the most beautiful ones I've ever seen. I also picked up some freshwater clams from this store. They had some other oddballs. They also raise some monster goldfish and have an entire room dedicated to goldfish. A very cool fish store, I must say!

State: MD
City: Bethesda
Name: Westwood pet center

Variety: 5 (good barbs and guppys)
Cleanliness: 7
Staff intelligence: 9

ARIZONA

PRESCOTT

We have both a PetSmart and a PetCo, not the best but if you feel the need to use them I would recommend our PetSmart over PetCo in general.

PET CARE CENTER- Fish and small animals.
Friendliness: 9
Knowledge: Depends on which employee you speak with- I'd give it an 8 overall.
Cleanliness: 6 Lots of algae in the tanks.
Variety: In store: 5-6 due to small size and not a lot of room for tanks, but they will order anything you request. So overall-10.

This store is working to improve some things, which is always nice to see. I find them to be expensive, which I think is true of all local small stores. When I can I support them because I believe in what they are doing. When it comes to big items, I just cannot afford to get these from there. Their fish are fairly expensive as well.
:nod:

State: California

City: Roseville
Store: Petsmart

Variety/Selection: 4
Cleanliness and Quality: 3
Staff friendliness: 10
Staff knowledge: 1
Smiley rating: :angry:

Comments:
Typical big box store. Completely ignorant staff. Their tanks are dirty and there are many sick and dead fish. I wouldn't buy a single thing from here and honestly I do not feel they have any business selling fish.

City: Citrus Heights
Store: Petco

Variety/Selection: 3
Cleanliness and Quality: 8
Staff knowledge: 5
Smiley rating: -_-

Comments:
For a big box store, this place actually isn't too bad. Their fish selection is wanting, but they do have a small saltwater selection. They carry most of the super common varieties except guppies, which amazed me. Their tanks are always clean and their fish always look healthy and I've only noticed dead fish on rare occasions. The staff here seems to be somewhat educated, but they still don't understand the nitrogen cycle and will give you erroneous information. If you've already done your research and are just looking for a common fish, this place is ok to buy from.

City: Carmichael
Store: Pet Connection

Variety/Selection: 7
Cleanliness and Quality: 2
Staff friendliness: 4
Staff knowledge: 4
Smiley rating: :angry: :angry:

Comments: This store used to be my favorite in the area. I'm sad to say it has declined greatly in quality. They have reptiles, small mammals, birds, oddities such as scorpions and tarantulas, and puppies as well as fresh and saltwater fish. They have reptiles that I do not believe should be sold, such as large desert tortoises. Those animals are not bred, they must be removed from their natural environment, and they do not do well in captivity. Their cages in the store are grossly inadequate. The quality of their tanks has declined greatly. There were dead fish all over the place, in both fresh and saltwater the last time I was there. Several tanks had fish with Ich, and they had not been quarantined from the other fish. They give bogus advice in order to make fish sales. Their staff can be rude and argumentative. The one saving grace about this location is they will make custom measurement glass aquariums, but due to the severe decline in quality on many levels, I doubt I would take advantage of this service.

City: Sacramento (downtown)
Store: "O" Street Aquarium

Variety/Selection: 8
Staff knowledge: 10
Smiley rating: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Comments:
I was very impressed with this store. Their selection of both fresh and saltwater organisms was quite large considering the size of the store. Their cichlid selection is superb. The tanks were spotless. Their staff was extremely friendly and willing to help, and they seemed like they enjoyed their job. Their staff is knowledgeable as well. This is an excellent little shop, and I'll probably go out of my way to do business here just to support such a well run establishment.

City: Sacramento (West Sac)
Store: Exotic Aquarium

Variety/Selection: 10
Cleanliness and Quality: 7
Staff knowledge: 6
Smiley rating: :hyper: :hyper:

Comments:
Overall I was really, really impressed with this place. Their selection is absolutely staggering. Considering the size of the place, their fish are quite well kept. They have quarantine tanks on each row for sick fish. While I did see some deaths, considering the enormous size of this place the amount of death was quite low. Overall their fish were healthy, and they carry both fresh and saltwater varieties. They have a gigantic variety of aquariums to choose from, and they do custom orders as well. My one bone of contention with this place was one of their staff touting a new cycling potion to me, promising me that it was cycle a tank withing 3 days. I do not believe that is possible, but on the other hand he was extremely knowledgeable about fish. All of their staff were courteous and helpful. Excellent store.

South Dakota
Sioux Falls

Mini Critters
49th Louise
Minicritters.com

Variety/Selection: 9---if they don't have it they'll order it or, if fish is unavailable at the time, take your name and call you when it becomes available from the supplier. Sometimes we go there just to look!

Cleanliness/Quality: 9 rarely if ever see dead things. I've never seen an unkept aquarium there.

Staff Friendliness: 5--i think they might be more friendly if they had more time. They are a REALLY busy store, esp. weekends, and they're rushed.

Knowledge: 9 They've given great advice and if one person doesn't know an answer they'll try to consult with the other associates.

Smiley rating: :good:

They have two awesome saltwater show tanks(items aren't for sale from those) containg rays and various fish. They also sell small animals, birds, puppies, and some reptiles. Of course they sell a ton of accessories too.

Gives them an overall of 80%.

State: TN
City: Knoxville
Store: Aquarium

Variety/ Selection: 8
Cleanliness and quality: 9
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 9
Smiley rating: :)
Comments: This is one of the only stores in my area and I'm happy to say they are really quite good. Their prices tend to be a bit high but then so is the quality of their fish. The do offer memberships which can get you coupons and member web specials.

These are just the stores I use or have used in the past. I didn't rate the local walmart or the racine petco or walmart. I haven't bought fish at any of thm.

State: Wisconsin
City: Kenosha

Variety/ Selection:4
Cleanliness and quality: 5
Staff friendlyness and Knowledge: 7
Smiley rating: :crazy:
Don't go here. It's a freaking joke.

----------------------------------------------

City: Kenosha
Store: Jim's Aquarium

Staff friendlyness and Knowledge: 9

----------------------------------------------

City: Racine
Store: Havahart

Variety/ Selection: winter 7 / summer 9
Cleanliness and quality: 9
Staff friendlyness and Knowledge: 9
Smiley rating: :drool:

State: Pennsilvania
City:Allentown
Store: Pet Supplies Plus

Variety/ Selection:3
Cleanliness and quality: 4
Staff friendlyness and Knowledge: 5
Smiley rating: :crazy:
---------------------------
State: Pennsilvania
City:Allentown

Variety/ Selection:8
Cleanliness and quality: 7

City: Sacramento (downtown)
Store: "O" Street Aquarium

Variety/Selection: 8
Staff knowledge: 10
Smiley rating: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Comments:
I was very impressed with this store. Their selection of both fresh and saltwater organisms was quite large considering the size of the store. Their cichlid selection is superb. The tanks were spotless. Their staff was extremely friendly and willing to help, and they seemed like they enjoyed their job. Their staff is knowledgeable as well. This is an excellent little shop, and I'll probably go out of my way to do business here just to support such a well run establishment.

This store is moving, they are currently in 2 location but will eventually be Aqua Workz (I think that is the spelling).

The new address is:
8125 Belvedere Ave
Sacramento, CA 95826

The new store is HUGE, compared to the one on O street. They have a great selection of products and tanks, they have tanks that I haven't seen anywhere else. The store layout is interesting all the tanks are in a large U with all the Fresh Water tanks on the outer part and the salt water on the inside. Can't rate anything else really since all I got was some filter media, but I will be going back to get fish in the next few weeks.

City:Bueana Park
Store: Orange Coast Tropical Fish

Variety/ Selection:7
Cleanliness and quality: 10
Staff friendlyness and Knowledge: 10

The Staff is very friendly and know there stuff, not a very great selection, but a lot of common fish and nice plants.
Are willing to order special thinks for you.

City:Long Beach
Store: Strickly fish

Variety/ Selection:7
Staff friendlyness and Knowledge: 5 for friendly 10 for knowledge

Staff is a bit rude, slow and preoccupied with the TV. They do have a great selection of plants though but are over priced. If you like chiclids they're your store! They have a wide variety of chiclids. This is one store that sells bioballs and those donut shaped ceramic rings that are from their established tanks to help biuld your filters bacteria up.

City:Bueana Park
Store: PetSmart

Variety/ Selection:10 (great selection of tetras and other fresh water fish!)
Staff friendlyness and Knowledge: 7 for friendly 2 for knowledge.

Great variety oddly enough better then the local fish stores! Sadly enough they had a great planted tank that is now full of Blue grween algea and they don't seem to know how to get rid of it. :no: I bought a lot of nice plants there cheap before the slime took over. Employees cannot tell fish apart and often times catch the wrong ones (which I can't understand since the pictures are right there with the price!!)

Saw some in Michigan, but none from my area, and there's quite a few of them. I've hit most of them around here, so while I'm online and bored:

City: Saginaw
Store: Ocean Odyssey

Variety/ Selection: 5
Cleanliness and quality: 4
Staff friendlyness and Knowledge: 5
Smiley rating: :(

Biggest place around. Pretty mixed, though. If you catch the manager, he really knows his stuff, but is usually in the back office. They have a few very knowledgeable people, and a lot of less knowledgeable people who at least know better than to give you advice when somebody is on hand that can help you better. They do some specialty orders, particularly salt water, but won't carry or order painted fish. Tanks aren't always the cleanest, and have a large shared filter/water supply, so fish should definitely be quarantined (I've gotten a couple sick fish from them). Has some oddball stuff, like marine acclimated mollies and occasional rare species, but it's mostly common fish. One of only two places to get salt water fish in town, but unless you want yellow tangs, the selection is limited.

The one thing I really don't like about the place is that they sell baby alligators. I don't think they should be kept as pets to start with, but there's no viable way to keep something that gets that large in this part of the country, so most of these probably die or are donated to the zoo (where most of them probably die anyway).

Edit 8/7/08: Updating this place and downgrading a couple of their scores. Lately a number of their tanks have been sitting empty, the selection's narrower, the water's been dirty, and the fish have been looking progressively less healthy. I was a bit disturbed that they were selling some malawi cichlids with visibly bent spines at an increased price as a "rare humpback variety."

City: Bay City
Store: Soldan's

Variety/ Selection: 6
Cleanliness and quality: 3
Staff friendlyness and Knowledge: 3
Smiley rating: :unsure:

There's always somebody on duty who knows fish, but sometimes only one, and good luck getting a hold of them. The people who work out in the store aren't as knowledgeable, but can give good basic info. Fish tanks are clean, but often contain dead or dying fish, sometimes for several days. Do carry a handful of rare fish you can't find anywhere else in the Tri Cities. They do give a 5 day guarantee, most places don't.

Edit 8/7/08: Downgraded their clenliness - I made note of a dead fish stuck between a tank and the access panel behind it and have confirmed that it's been there every time I've stopped in for over two months now.

City: Midland
Store: Soldans

Cleanliness and quality: 6
Staff friendlyness and Knowledge: unknown
Smiley rating: :look:

Same chain, but a cleaner store with a better selection. Little experience with the service, but they were the only place in the Tri Cities you could get Bio-Spira with any hope of it actually working. Midland's tap water is a bit softer and lower pH than in Saginaw or Bay City, so you can find a few species here in better condition than anywhere in Saginaw (and vice-versa), but good luck getting them to survive the transition.

Store: Soldans

Only here for mention - the signs at the Midland and Bay City locations list a Bay Road address. Apparently it will be going into the old Companion's Cuisine building in a few months.

City: Saginaw/Zilwaukee
Store: Aquatic Gardens

Variety/ Selection: 9
Smiley rating: :)

Edit 8/13/08: With Scales and Tales recent troubles, this is my first pick for fish locally.

Only other option for salt water in town, and a much wider selection than Ocean Odyssey. Cleanest tanks in the area, as well. Staff is reasonably good, and directs questions they aren't sure of to a local fish club. 2-3 times as expensive as anywhere else, but does have 2 for 1 Tuesdays on some fish. Also carries the widest selection of very large or oddly shaped tanks. Regularly stock oddball fish, though it's a dice game to see what they have in any given week. Sometimes they get mislabeled fish that they're not sure about, which can lead to wonderful deals, as they're usually sold at a discount price.

City: Birch Run
Store: Rift Lake Tropicals

Variety/ Selection: ---
Cleanliness and quality: ---
Staff friendlyness and Knowledge: ---
Smiley rating: :rip:

Great while it lasted. This store is closing at the end of August 2008. No fish left, but they're selling off everything for the rest of the month, including the display tanks, cycled filters, even the cashier's desk is for sale cheap.

Going to throw in the PetSmart's too:

Variety/ Selection: 9
Cleanliness and quality: 5
Staff friendlyness and Knowledge: 4
Smiley rating: :/

Lot of sick or injured fish in the tanks. Most of the fish staff sound like parrots repeating canned answers, and they can rarely give good answers about specific species. Tried to sell me a dead apple snail saying, "Don't worry, he's in there!"

City: Midland

Variety/ Selection: 10
Staff friendlyness and Knowledge: unsure
Smiley rating: :unsure:

No experience with the staff, but the tanks are cleaner and the fish much healthier than the ones in Saginaw. Slightly better selection, probably owing to the same water differences mentioned under Soldan's.

City: Willoughby, Ohio
Store: RMS Aquatics

Variety/Selection: 10
Cleanliness and Quality: 5
Staff knowledge: 8
Smiley rating: :good: :nod: :yahoo:

I went to Rms yesterday and was very very happy with their store. They had some of the most amazing creatures ive ever seen. The had arowanda's, teacup stingrays, discus, electirc eel, water dogs, The Dwarf Peacock Chilids Ive been hunting for, fire eels, they even had a baby alligator. So the selection is very good. They do also have marine life but i dont know what kinds are hard to come by.

The cleaniness wasnt the greatest. The sumps looked really dirty, alot of built up algae and things like that which kind of made me like ehhh the first time i went in there but i bought fishes anyways. Which are doing very well.

As so as i walked in the door they greeted me and was trying to immediately help me with what i was looking for. They were very socialable and told me about their tanks and etc.

They did seem to know alot about the animals but when ever they didnt they would ask the head manager and he was able to tell me everything i wanted to know and more.

I over all was extatic about this place and will continue to go there for a long time.

Thanks,

Alex

Most reactions

Back