Uninvited guest

Alex Kadyshevich

Reaction score
Looked in my tank the other day...and spotted an interloper. A Snail, about 1/2 inch ( sorry don't do euro) pale yellow shell...seemingly pretty harmless?
First thought to chuck it out in the garden...but unusually for me hesitated.
Is this uninvited guest a threat to my plants?
Keep seeing him on and off around the place.
My fairly heavily planted tank could probably survive a bit of pruning...but am I likely to see a load of these in a while?
Really not my area lads so info please?

Hello Alex. Personally, the tank would be incomplete without a good number of snails. Never noticed them damaging any of my plants. Good cleaners and an asset to my tanks as long as I keep their numbers fairly low. To do this, I don't feed much, just a little variety every other day. Don't feed too much and you'll have a reasonable number of snails to make your tank look more natural.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Need a picture to ID. Some snails are better than others. If it's Physa, it could reproduce rapidly if there's food source. If it's Lymnaea that's a lot less risk and more beneficial.

Since found a number of tiny snails, mostly on the glass, but some on the plants.
Have chucked the moma out in the cold, and begun a war of attrition against the offspring, similar to the one I wage daily against ribbon algae
Incidentally following the advice of an article in an old copy of practical fishkeeper, I've increased my lighting to 8 to 10 hours, more the latter, and blanket bombed the tank with even more plants, especially hygrophila polysperma and diffinis, and of course hornwort..nasty black algae gone, ribbon algae can be removed with 12" tweezers.
These tiny snails are brown...and if any survive my onslaught to adulthood I'll definitely post a photo.

Hello Alex. Personally, the tank would be incomplete without a good number of snails. Never noticed them damaging any of my plants. Good cleaners and an asset to my tanks as long as I keep their numbers fairly low. To do this, I don't feed much, just a little variety every other day. Don't feed too much and you'll have a reasonable number of snails to make your tank look more natural.

10 Tanks (Now 11)
It only looks like snails eat live plants because sometimes they eat algae off the plants or eat the dead parts. I think they're a good addition to a tank if the numbers are reasonable. They help breakdown organic matter.
I had pond snails for a while. But my measures to reduce their numbers worked too well and they're gone now. I just added some Malaysian Trumpet snails to my tank.

Ok thanks 😊 mate...perhaps I'll back off a bit on the snails and just concentrate 👍 on blitzing the ribbon algae.

I love the snails and keep them in all of my planted tanks….Nerites, bladder, and ramshorn. Never ever (over 25 years) have I had the need to eradicate them, although in the distant past I did use to toss some in for my goldfish to eat. It was more for nutritional variety for my goldfish than it was to reduce my snail population. It is all part of the biodiversity I aim for in my aquariums.

Well thanks pal....only concerned for my cherished plants. As yourself and 10 tanks say these characters are no real threat...and can even be a benefit..I will duly back off and give them a chance.😇

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back