Unidentified Corydoras Species

Herbert Axelrod is the "pope" of aquariophilia, many fishes were named in honor of Axelrod like Paracheirodon/Brittanichthys/Cynotilapia/Corydoras axelrodi, etc....

Axelrods . ..I've seen fish named after the author?
Seems like a good book to have.
Axelrod also wrote the Mini Atlas of freshwater aquarium fishes. Thousands of pictures with water parameters etc attached to each one. This book I would always take to my LFS so that I could check on fish I was unsure of, very useful I would suggest all aquarists to have a reference book with them when shopping for fish.

Axelrod also wrote the Mini Atlas of freshwater aquarium fishes. Thousands of pictures with water parameters etc attached to each one. This book I would always take to my LFS so that I could check on fish I was unsure of, very useful I would suggest all aquarists to have a reference book with them when shopping for fish.
I think there is a Axelrod Sunfish, ? Blue?
So pretty

It can be so hard to tell with some cory species! I highly doubt that it's a hybrid - fish breeders don't usually produce those, they want pure strains to sell. Much more likely that this one is another species from the same breeder that accidentally got mixed into the pygmy cory shipment, whether by the breeder or at the store.

OP, I'd recommend going to Planet Catfish with your photos, or Wet Web Media. People there are much more experienced with the less common cory species, and know which identifying features to check for which species is it. If you do, please let us know the result! I'm really curious.

Elegans? They don’t grow as big as most Corys.
They sell Elegans in my LFS and I always stop and watch them for a while. Bit expensive for my pocket and not quite suited to my water either.
The old boy on the corners son has some and they spend as much time clogging up the midwater traffic in his tank as they do on the bottom which apparently drives him nuts as he wanted a bottom of the tank type fish as he’s got loads of midwater Livebearers already.

PlanetCatFish, FishBase, SeriouslyFish say ',5 to 5,5 cm.

Elegans? They don’t grow as big as most Corys.
They sell Elegans in my LFS and I always stop and watch them for a while. Bit expensive for my pocket and not quite suited to my water either.
The old boy on the corners son has some and they spend as much time clogging up the midwater traffic in his tank as they do on the bottom which apparently drives him nuts as he wanted a bottom of the tank type fish as he’s got loads of midwater Livebearers already.
C.elegans can grow quite big. C.napoensis is often sold as C.elegans, which is a smaller sized Cory from the elegans-group.

These are my salt and pepper cories. After a few weeks 2 of them are darker grey/brown, 2 are lighter pearly colour and the last 2 stayed the same.
cory 2.png
d3fdeb180229c2bb65b6b868feb6a753.jpg

Right, I think I found his species after searching a quite a while :lol: :lol:
I found these guys, they vary from lighter colours with speckles to more solid brown with stripes.
Corydoras Napoensis
Napo_ml.jpg
IMG_6768.jpg

Most reactions

Back